Nosler 200 grain Accubond Tip Corrosion

Yes, common problem with "older" boxes. Define older? Nosler has replaced and did not require return. They know the problem and have been good on CS.

Magmunmaniac said ABbs with the problem but not Partitions ….. wonder if Noslers "bonding process", chemical, Geat or combination contributed to discoloration?? Hummmmm

I had a couple of boxes of 200 gr .30 Cal Accubonds that looked like the original poster's pictures.

Like others have responded in this thread, contacted Nosler and they asked for the lot numbers and sent me replacement boxes at no charge. Excellent customer service.

As this conversation is ongoing, I'm sitting here miking a handful of 7mm bullets trying to make a decision on which bullet will offer the most blood out of the dinky 'lil 7mm-08 case, which one will intrude least into powder space and offer most velocity for weight & trying to get the heaviest ....
And contemplating on doing a 7mm-08 AI (case on left) but then started daydreaming about a mo bettah, more guts 28-08 Improved .. bahahahahaha !

Miked the 150 gr Nosler ABLR and it was perfect ! Gonna have to mess with that one for sure .... Next up was the 160 gr Nosler Accubond, couple years old ... but an unopened box ....

Opened the box and gahhhhh ! Bullets are discolored with an ugly, reddish, dark bluish color, I can't shoot pretty, white billy goats with ugly bullets ! no way !

and they're all like that, one side on every bullet is stained... "dam it all" said the beaver !

View attachment 331015View attachment 331016View attachment 331017
I have a box of Sierra 140g 7mm bullets that look similar to these, the copper is dark and kind of purple colored. Weird. Fortunately never had issues with Nosler bullets

I think the white tips can be an issue mainly because of it's color. I think the plastic used for the tip,the pigment and hardener are probably not mixed thoroughly.I have never had one single issue with the colored tips,only the white ones.Years ago I had about a dozen tips fall off in a box of 50.The part of the tip that was inside of the bullet was soft and caulky.The tip that was on the outside was hard.This tells me it had to be a mixing issue because it needed the air to cure properly.I also think this can cause the exploding Accubond issue.The tips probably fall off in flight and the bullet becomes a wide deep cavity hollow point.Those tips turning green are probably some type of acid reaction to the lead or copper and the improperly mixed white plastic.I wish Nosler would change those white tips.Hornady had issues with some of their red tips before the translucent red they now use.I would break one of those greenish white tips off and dig the plastic out of the inside to see if there is some type of corrosion going on and contact Nosler and see what they say about it.

About what year are having these issues
I just contacted customer service and they told me they are 7 years old. They are going to replace them free of charge as soon as they get more in stock. I know some of these recently showed up at retailers for sale so I'm assuming it will be awhile before they make another run. That's fine with me as I have some to hold me over until then. I'm just happy they are taking care of me and going to replace them. The guy on the phone was great to deal with. Hats off to Nosler for great customer service.

Al least those just look tarnished and the tip hasn't rotted completely out of the bullet...🤷‍♂️
Stored in a hot garage? I had some M80 that sat in a garage in Houston. Did a good job of corroding the bullets and turning them useless. I assumed the powder was degraded. going have pull bullets and dump the powder

I just contacted customer service and they told me they are 7 years old. They are going to replace them free of charge as soon as they get more in stock. I know some of these recently showed up at retailers for sale so I'm assuming it will be awhile before they make another run. That's fine with me as I have some to hold me over until then. I'm just happy they are taking care of me and going to replace them. The guy on the phone was great to deal with. Hats off to Nosler for great customer service.
I'll have to check mine--- I think mine are about 5 years old

I think I'd use some water and vinegar or straight vinegar with a water neutralizing bath. Maybe add baking soda to the water for rinse. You could also run them in a tumbler with cob.
For the stains, I would try dish soap and LemiShine. Re: the tips, had the same issue and called Nosler with the P/N and Lot number and they sent me a new box, great customer service. Good luck.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem with a box of 30 cal 180g AB, but not as much corrosion. About half the box had tips broken off or simply fell out in the box. I wrote Nosler, and all they sent was a letter with a little bag with 10 replacements. I used the faulty ones for short range 30-06 loads.

Yeah this box was unopened in a reasonably climate controlled environment. Just opened another box, same age and lot stored in the same area. No corrosion.
Looks like they got a bad run of tips from their supplier. They should not break down like that. The reason plastics are such an environmental problem is that they tend not to break down for decades or even longer.

I would either toss them or maybe send them back to Nosler with a note. They probably want to do some testing and see what happened.

As good a folks as they are they'll probably replace them for you.