Nosler 190 Accubond Long Range (@short range)

Buttermilk

Used my 300 RUM on a couple Oklahoma deer.
118 lb 8pt. 70 yards. Nosler 190 ABLR at 3340 FPS muzzle velocity.

IMG_1372.JPG
Entrance. No exit.
IMG_1373.JPG
42 lb doe. 70 yds. Same load. Exit wound showing.
IMG_1370.JPG

edit: re-attach pics

Last edited:
It did indeed work. :)

I posted these pics to show that these ABLR bullets are a bit on the soft side. I would however use them again for close range deer.

Wow. Surprising that the first pic shows the entrance, and the bullet didn't exit ... but then again, it was a relatively close shot at 3340 fps muzzle vel. That's screaming. Definitely got the job done. Thanks for sharing the pics and performance of the 190, and nice shooting!

The entrance wound on the buck was a hard quartering away shot. Bullet raked 3-4 ribs on the way in.

Certainly demonstrates the softness of the bullet. However, it did do it's job. Trashed the inside of that buck.

Doe was a complete pass thru on a broadside 70 yd shot. Exit was similar to the entrance of the buck.

Regards,
Rog

One can't have everything...a bullet that delivers good ballistics and can still open at the relatively low velocity of long range will not be equally optimized for point blank, high velocity shots.

Yet, it looks like it got the job done well. If not overkill.

I love my 300 for elk but if rifles are legalized for deer here next year I'll be using a 243. I've seen what 300s do to deer. Years ago I got a good laugh from a TV show that advised the 300WM as the minimal round for deer.

Good shooting.

Looking at the minimum velocity for the AB and he ABLR the ABLR has a minimum expanding velocity of 1300fps. That is quite lower than the AB at 1800fps. I would say that it would have to be somewhat softer to adequately expand at much lower velocities. Raking ribs upon entering usually does a significant amount of damage. I had the same thing happen before and took out three ribs and I could stick my fist in the entrance wound and the slug ended up in the far side shoulder. I would say they'd be just fine for high vel close up shots as well as far away low vel shots. I am seriously considering these and probably not even use the originals.

They are indeed softer than the regular Accubond. In spite of the damage, I am pleased with the performance of the Accubond Long Range. I plan to continue shooting them in this 300 RUM and also in my T/C Encore 30-338WM handgun (these 190 ABLR will do just a tad over 2700 FPS in the T/C Encore handgun)). Should be a good combo.

I shot a broadside buck at about 45 - 50 yards this year with a Barnes 6.5mm LRX 127 grain. The muzzle velocity averaged 3,351 feet per second. The bullet hit the near side shoulder and entered the chest. The chest hole looked like that entrance hole on the buck. It exited.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.