Nosler 142gr LRAB in a 260

Clay Target Guy

I am trying to work up a load to whitetail deer hunt with in a 260 Remington. I have another 260 that I am shooting 100 gr NBT's out of and it has worked great but the BC on that bullet is not great for longer ranges.
I have a new 260 build that I am going to be working the load for and bought 3 boxes of the 142 gr Nosler LRAB's for based on the .71 BC. This gun has a 24" Brux 1-8 twist on it and I am hoping to get 27-2800 FPS range out of it.
After doing some reading I am starting to second guess my bullet choice. I have been reading where this bullet will over penetrate and not expand and would be a better choice for elk sized game.
My question is, should I proceed with load work up with this bullet or back up to something in the 120-130 gr weight bullet.
I hope to play with some shooting as well at longer ranges (600-1000 yards) as well but this is mostly a hunting gun.

Thanks

There are lots of theory's on penetration. I'm more on the side of more is better than less. I haven't used the long range Accubonds, but have seen the standards perform well.

Meaning they expand pretty reliably to about 600 yards (as far as I shoot game to this point. They likely won't give the rapid expansion, shed all the energy type of wound channel some prefer.

In theory the long range Accubonds should expand down to 1300 fps. So it's a question of how far you plan on shooting, what type of shot your willing to take, what type of performance you prefer, and what type of of animal you plan on shooting.

I harvested a few deer with the 140 NAB at the velocities you're talking and have since switched. The deer would act like they weren't hit. They did not travel very far but small entries and exits were SOP. I believe the 142 LRAB probably will expand more however it is a bonded bullet just like its short range cousin.

Try the 123 AMAX right behind the shoulder. You will know they are hit then. The 123 has a BC of about 520 and from what I have read the 142 LRAB is actually about 570 not much better in actual performance. I would suggest the 140 but I believe it has been discontinued.

I have used the 140 AMAX the 140 NAB THE 120 NBT and the 120 TSX to harvest whitetail and the AMAX is my choice. I have heard good things about the 123 AMAX when I run out of 140's I will probably go to them or back to the NBT.

IMO the 260 Rem is at its best inside 400 and high ballistic coefficients are not a prerequisite for shooting at that range.

Where are you going on the whitetail hunt?

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

Don't be surprised to find out that advertised BC is not even close to the actual BC.
It still ought to be a decent longrange bullet...

Where are you going on the whitetail hunt?

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

Texas, I have been out there several times and don't think I have killed with the same gun twice....lol.
This will be my 2016 shooting iron....maybe.

I am working with the 123's right now but when I saw the BC Nosler claimed on the 142 AB's, I grabbed (3) boxes on a impulse buy. I am thinking I may send them back and buy some more 123 or try some Berger 130's...just to see.

Texas, I have been out there several times and don't think I have killed with the same gun twice....lol.

I am working with the 123's right now but when I saw the BC Nosler claimed on the 142 AB's, I grabbed (3) boxes on a impulse buy. I am thinking I may send them back and buy some more 123 or try some Berger 130's...just to see.
It looks like Litz came up with a average of .57 BC for 142s and as high as .59ish above 3000 fps.. It's still with in the realm of a realistic longrange 6.5mm bullet...

I note the 142 ABLR has a higher sectional density than the 140 NAB. I believe that bullet is suitable for use in these long range 6.5's over 3000 fps. If your having good luck with the 123 AMAX I would use it if you can get the 130 VLD to shoot I would think it should perform well. I hunted with the 125 NPT as well and its performance was stellar when big bones were encountered but not so when hit behind the shoulder.

Check out this web site .260 Remington

If you are hunting 200 pound whitetail I would stick with a fragmenting bullet in the lungs.

Good Luck on your hunt. Don't forget pic's

Bob

From what I've seen of the ABLR, the 142gr @ 2700ish should work well on deer sized game out to 1/4 mile +

I'd imagine they would perform nicely in your 8 twist barrel

I am trying to work up a load to whitetail deer hunt with in a 260 Remington. I have another 260 that I am shooting 100 gr NBT's out of and it has worked great but the BC on that bullet is not great for longer ranges.
I have a new 260 build that I am going to be working the load for and bought 3 boxes of the 142 gr Nosler LRAB's for based on the .71 BC. This gun has a 24" Brux 1-8 twist on it and I am hoping to get 27-2800 FPS range out of it.
After doing some reading I am starting to second guess my bullet choice. I have been reading where this bullet will over penetrate and not expand and would be a better choice for elk sized game.
My question is, should I proceed with load work up with this bullet or back up to something in the 120-130 gr weight bullet.
I hope to play with some shooting as well at longer ranges (600-1000 yards) as well but this is mostly a hunting gun.

Thanks
Everyone has an opinion. however.... I have a little model 7 in 260 and a savage in 6.5 creed and I shoot 142ablr bullets in both the little model 7 has 6 deer to its name with that bullet the savage has 4 the last 4 were dead right there I mean right where they stood. now I have hunted all over this country and have had a perfect behind the shoulder shot on a muley with a 180gr ballistic tip bullet out of a 300win run like I missed him and pile up 100yds away and ive used a scirocco 2 the following year and stoned him at 506yds. what's my point? a well placed shot matters more than the bullet choice. most my shots are behind the shoulder but if the animal is in the rain or thick hard to track or in the late afternoon ill shoot em right in the shoulder when that leg is back takes their wheels right away... thus the bonded bullet. yep you lose some meat but you don't lose the animal and I think its way more ethical to waste a little meat than lose the whole animal and ruin all the meat. lastly the published BC is really in the high 500s or low 600s. no where near 700.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.