Nos. Btip seating depth. Are they picky?

Derek M.

I've never really had to put much effort into getting a good load with ballistic tips so I've honestly not spent a lot of time monkeying with seating depth for them. I have a new build, a 280 Remington. It has a Shilen select match bbl and I had the chance to shoot it today and "break it in." Much of the time I will use some old VV powder I have on hand to break rifles in because the powder burns clean. In this case I used VV N165, Norma brass, Fed 210 match primers. I increased dose of powder as usual to find max if I even get that far, then have 5 shots of each charge. Today on the 57.0 and 57.5 grain charges, I had the first 2 shots close to each other, then a 3 shot cluster for shots 3, 4, and 5. The 57.0 gr rounds through an overall 1" group but the 3 shot cluster measured 0.3s and the 57.5 tightened up to 0.2s for shots 3, 4, and 5.

I'm wondering if its because each 5 shot string started off with a cool, clean barrel, and the barrel needed a couple of foul shots to get things going. Once firing began, the bbl was never allowed to get hot but it did get warm.

280Rem150btipVVN1652.jpg

280Rem150btipVVN165.jpg

So, what I think I'll do is load 5 shots with 57.5 grains at 3 different seating depths for 15 total (which is the purpose of this post). Does anyone have any experience varying btip depth and seeing targets opening or tightening up much? I have not when I did a brief experiment some years ago. Plus, I will foul the barrel with 2 shots to begin with and just not do any cleaning during this test. The new barrel has 18 bullets through it. I had 5 loaded with 58.0gr powder but the first 3 were an inch and a half apart so I saved #4 and 5 for future foul shots.

Since I still have about 2 pounds of this powder I still try to see if I can get a load with it anyway. Plan on going back to range Friday. I was going to try IMR4350 but if my hunch is correct, and the new barrel just needs to be a little dirty, then I think I'm already on to something. Not sure yet. Or, I suppose I could just keep doing the break-in process according to Shilen (continue to clean after every 5 shots until you hit 50). I'm just running out of time before I go to CO. Still have 2 other rifles to play with.

Shot yesterday morning and confirmed foul shots were necessary.

I had 2 bullets left with 58.0 grains of VV N165 so I used those to foul the barrel. Curiously, they touched each other at 100 yards where the last range session a three shot cluster formed a 3/4" group (but again, that was on a clean bore).

So I took 21 loads to check seating depth. All were 57.5 grains of powder. I did not clean the barrel at all.

5x seated as before at 3.30
5x seated at 3.34
5x seated at 3.32

6x seated at 3.33 (for 2 three shot strings)

The rifle definitely likes the depth at 3.34 best. The 5 shot group claimed a 3/8" group so that will do. The rest did very well and to my satisfaction. All under or at 1/2".

So the 280 and 7mag are going to Colorado in a couple of weeks. I'll take the 280 to KY on the 10th for the opener, then hit the road to CO the next morning.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.