Northwest Action Works build

jwall3d11

I wanted to share a little update on the action I won here on LRH through the "LRH Giveaway Contest". It's a Northwest Action Works trued Remington 700 stainless action. I had NWAW install a fluted 26" stainless Benchmark barrel chambered in 300 RUM with a Ross Schuler brake, PTG lug, Timney trigger set at 1 1/2#, and they milled the action to fit a Wyatts extended mag box. I put the barreled action into my HS Precision stock and bolted on my 5-20X50 Blue Diamond Huskemaw scope into the Talley tall rings. Evan and Mason were great to work with throughout this build and I think it turned out fantastic. I got to do some shooting with it over the past weekend and I am extremely happy with the results so far. I have done almost no load work up so far and have hit my furthest targets yet. Out to 1,460 yards! I haven't gotten to shoot for groups at longer ranges yet but I like what I have seen so far. The target attached is from 2-100 yard groups I shot with this gun the first time at the range behind my dads house the day before I shot it to 1460. 1 3 shot group is covered by the sticker immediately to the right of the second 3 shot group. My dads range is only 100 yards. The load I am shooting is a 215 Berger hybrid over 94 grains of Retumbo, CCI 250 primer in Norma brass and is 3.130" base to ogive. I would like to thank Len and Andy Backus here at Long Range Hunting.com and Evan Pine and Mason Watters at Northwest Action Works for the opportunity at this gun and for building a great shooting and hunting rig.

Jeremy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 143
Is that a load that they recommended or one you worked up? What's your velocity? I'll bet it's smokin fast with that 215 over 94 grains of Retumbo. I'm running 87.3 Retumbo with a 230 in a very similar setup with the same brass right at 3000 fps and I'm seeing very faint ejector marks but the primer pockets are staying tight.

I haven't gotten to shoot it through a chrono yet so I don't know the speed. As far as the load I did a little research and tried a couple different charges all at .050" off the lands.

I don't know your build specs, but I think your brass life will suffer with that load, especially with Norma/Nosler brass. IMO you'd be better off running somewhere around 89-90 grains.

I checked the brass after shooting each one so far and there aren't any marks on the brass and the primers looked ok. I guess only time will tell.

Well you gotta know a ballpark of your velocity. How did you hit the target at 1450 without at least ball parking your velocity????!!!

Kasey

Ya I guessed it to be either 3,000 or 3,100 but I think it was a little faster than that since the numbers the ballistic calculator spit out all hit high. But no chrono yet so...

Your not entirely wrong. I did some research to see what other people were getting shooting similar loads and the general concensus was 3,000-3,140 fps. I don't recall exactly what I punched in, it was either 3,000 or 3,100. It was the calculator on Huskemaw website. The one I remember most was by the time I got to the 1,000 yard target the calculator was calling for 66 clicks and I shot it for 60 or 59.

Your not entirely wrong. I did some research to see what other people were getting shooting similar loads and the general concensus was 3,000-3,140 fps. I don't recall exactly what I punched in, it was either 3,000 or 3,100. It was the calculator on Huskemaw website. The one I remember most was by the time I got to the 1,000 yard target the calculator was calling for 66 clicks and I shot it for 60 or 59.

That's 15 MOA to 1000 yards. Depending on your zero, that's humming.

That's part of the reason I am trying out the 215. I used the 230 Bergers in my Sendero and I wanted more speed. I've read a lot of good things about the 215's.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.