Northern CA hunting recommendations

Russell Tam

Hello, I recently moved to Northen CA (Bay Area) from Texas. (Yes, I know, it's *** backwards). Having been born and raised in Texas and shooting my first deer when I was 8 on a family ranch, I have always loved hunting. Since we moved here and got settled in, I am ready to start hunting but don't know anyone here yet that hunts anything other than ducks.

Any good recommendations on where to look or who to contact to hunt would be greatly appreciated. Deer, hogs, etc...I'll even hunt ground squirrels with my Kidd 22lr just to practice my target shooting. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to CA. Don't drink the water down there it turns you to a liberal dip ****. All of California big game works on a draw system where you put in for your top 3 zone choices. It is a points system so the more points you have the better odds you have of drawing your first choice. You earn points by not drawing the previous years number one choice. You have to apply before June 2. Also B zone and D3-5 are over the counter tags. I am from NE CA if you have questions DM me.

Last edited:
California has a lot of public land and "wilderness" areas. Definitely get OnX maps for your phone or tablet to check out the land you can hunt for free. Be prepared to walk or hike. Here is a link to the California "wilderness area" map on Google Earth: https://www.wilderness.net/GIS/California_Wildernesses.kmz
Most of the areas are huntable except a few National Parks.

There is an organization called Backcountry Hunters and Anglers with an active chapter in Northern California. They have somewhat regular get togethers called "pint nights". You can meet others in your area and partner up to learn the system here. California BHA is very active on Facebook. Other organizations are California Wild Sheep Foundation, California Waterfowl, etc. All good groups of people and full of information.

California has a lot of public land and "wilderness" areas. Definitely get OnX maps for your phone or tablet to check out the land you can hunt for free. Be prepared to walk or hike. Here is a link to the California "wilderness area" map on Google Earth: https://www.wilderness.net/GIS/California_Wildernesses.kmz
Most of the areas are huntable except a few National Parks.

There is an organization called Backcountry Hunters and Anglers with an active chapter in Northern California. They have somewhat regular get togethers called "pint nights". You can meet others in your area and partner up to learn the system here. California BHA is very active on Facebook. Other organizations are California Wild Sheep Foundation, California Waterfowl, etc. All good groups of people and full of information.

Where is there a BHA chapter??

F61A1259-3D2C-487B-BDE3-66F97F829216.jpeg
Where is there a BHA chapter??

We are on Facebook.

Hello, I recently moved to Northen CA (Bay Area) from Texas. (Yes, I know, it's --- backwards). Having been born and raised in Texas and shooting my first deer when I was 8 on a family ranch, I have always loved hunting. Since we moved here and got settled in, I am ready to start hunting but don't know anyone here yet that hunts anything other than ducks.

Any good recommendations on where to look or who to contact to hunt would be greatly appreciated. Deer, hogs, etc...I'll even hunt ground squirrels with my Kidd 22lr just to practice my target shooting. Thanks in advance.

I lived in Livermore for a little while - Nevada isn't a very long drive and well worth it to do some hunting out there. After you have been in cali for a while, You will cross the border into Nevada and feel like you just busted out of prison and are tasting freedom for the first time in years.

Hello Russel,

I'm in San Jose and deer hunting in our state is really pretty easy if you just do some homework. Simply stated, once you draw a tag for your preferred zone, find a location, drive to the end of the road, hike in 1-2 miles and shoot your deer. I did that for years and was consistently successful. That said, our deer herd is very poorly managed by the state and you will be much better served by paying for access to private property. You will literally see 10 times the deer on managed property than you will on state/fed property. I can make several recommendations for you in this area. I am also the San Jose Chapter Chairman for the California Deer Association.

The best hunting we do have here in the state is for pigs. I've shot them all over the country and I really believe they taste the very best here in CA. I would also recommend private / guided hunts for pigs as well.

Funny you're from Texas. That's where I go to do 95% of my current deer hunting.

Oh yeah, the politics in this state are absurd.

Hello Russel,

I'm in San Jose and deer hunting in our state is really pretty easy if you just do some homework. Simply stated, once you draw a tag for your preferred zone, find a location, drive to the end of the road, hike in 1-2 miles and shoot your deer. I did that for years and was consistently successful. That said, our deer herd is very poorly managed by the state and you will be much better served by paying for access to private property. You will literally see 10 times the deer on managed property than you will on state/fed property. I can make several recommendations for you in this area. I am also the San Jose Chapter Chairman for the California Deer Association.

The best hunting we do have here in the state is for pigs. I've shot them all over the country and I really believe they taste the very best here in CA. I would also recommend private / guided hunts for pigs as well.

Funny you're from Texas. That's where I go to do 95% of my current deer hunting.

Oh yeah, the politics in this state are absurd.

Thanks for the info. I'll message you on where to find private hunts for pigs and deer.

I live in California spend the money and join a hunting club, Wilderness Unlimited or the Golden Ram. With the dope growers in Northern California becafeful on public land

I live in Tuolumne County and hunt in Wyoming and Nebraska...hunting in Cali sucks ***!!! Too many tags, too many people, too many Asians shooting literally EVERYTHING that moves, too little game management...etc etc.

Ur welcome to call later this evening I've been a member of WU for 28 years. I also hunt out of state in New Mexico, Montana and this year in Wyoming. Maybe I can pick ur brain about Wyoming