North, South Wyoming or North Colorado for Mulies

Harpoon brother

Does anyone have any experience hunting Muleys between 14/14A and the Montana border in R or Y? Thinking about a DIY here. It would be my first mountain hunt. I've done quite a bit of research of the area, but just wondering if anyone else has any thoughts or opinions that I may not have found yet.

I have also been looking to South. Was wondering if anyone had any experience down by Baggs and Battle Mountain or South of there in 3 & 4 in Colorado?

Southern Wyo is good or even great if you draw a tag in a limited quota area. Carbon county ranks number for number of entries in the B&C record book for the last 10 years. Hope that helps.

I archery hunt the Northern part of state. You really dont need to back pack hunt it a guy can camp out of his truck and Day hunt lots of pressure mostly elk hunters and roads out the wazoo but a guy can pull a good deer out of there if you put in the time to come scout and find where they feed out at night :D

Cool. I was thinking about basing out of my truck and maybe spiking out for a day or two or three at a time. A little nervous about the snow up in the Horns after mid October though.

Snow can be an issue in the Bighorns in Oct. Seems like it used to get a heavy snow before the rifle opener about every 3rd yr. (Oct 15). Here lately 2 out of 3 yrs. Couple of yrs ago some of the archery hunters got snowed in. Cost some $$ to get plowed out. Once you get a big snow the animals migrate down from the high country. A significant number head for private land where it is hard to get permission to hunt. Bruce

That's my biggest fear is getting the truck snowed in. I thought about camping out on the west side of Area 25 along the county line or north of but near Burgess Junction and hiking the ridge north. Thought if there was snow before I got there I could head to the extreme south of region Y, but it looks like there is quite a bit of competition down there.

I was surprised to see such an increase of tags in the Baggs area from 2013-2014, I'm very curious to see how many they hand out down there this year.

That's my biggest fear is getting the truck snowed in. I thought about camping out on the west side of Area 25 along the county line or north of but near Burgess Junction and hiking the ridge north. Thought if there was snow before I got there I could head to the extreme south of region Y, but it looks like there is quite a bit of competition down there.

I was surprised to see such an increase of tags in the Baggs area from 2013-2014, I'm very curious to see how many they hand out down there this year.
The problem with the mountains where you're talking about is the number of elk hunters that will be in 38 because of that season also opening on 10/15. If you hunt up there, I would certainly have the vehicle/camp near a maintained highway like 14 that time of the year to bail out and head south in Y if you had to. The problem down there, as you mentioned, is that as you go on south of Buffalo towards Kaycee in the south end of Y the public land gets a lot of pressure from both deer and antelope hunters. Personally, I would hunt the northern area back in as far as I could get and yet know that I could get out of Dodge if weather came in before I would go down south the way it has gotten the last few years with hunter numbers down there. Question---Where are you talking about an increase in tag numbers down toward Baggs, as I was under the impression from the stats that some areas were really being cut back and even a few areas have gone to LQ units with limited tags to help the dwindling numbers?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts