North Idaho Loner!

sil9mm

Hello! I'm Sil9mm. I'm have been married for almost 10 yrs and just had a boy. I'm very glad I found this site. As the title says, I have to do everything by myself. It's hard for me to meet new people and the friends I have are not into hunting or shooting as much as I am. I've been hunting most of my 35 yrs old life. Started around 10 bird dogging for lopers (another one of dad's funny names) in Montana for my dad. I grew up in Montana but have lived in Ca, Ak, and now Id since 93. I started reloading when I moved here, but lost most of my equipment. I just started to get back into reloading. I'm love my 7mm and now forced to reload for my 300 rum. (costs of factory loads). All the info here has been very helpful! Thx guys!
I started baiting bear 7 yrs ago on a 20 acre piece of property of mine(backs USFS) and have made a few trail cameras (digital and video). I've had a few offers to help shoot the bears but none to help bait! HAHA! Imagine that!
I spend most of my summer weekends up on the Moyie river and will be looking for places to practice long range shooting up there. Any help with that would be great.

Up where I hunt on the Salmon there are a couple of kids that hang out and seem not to do much of anything but they are nice kids and I like them. Anyway, they got to baiting bears and decided that where my hunting camp sits for elk season would be a good place to bait a bear. So there I sit in early October and they come driving up in their truck to check their bear bait. It was hard to say who was the most surprised them or me. I ruined their bear bait and they caused me much worry at night.

The funny thing was that there was a bear there and one day after it rained all night I went up in the woods behind camp and jumped the bear out of his bed within 300 yards of camp.

I suspect the bear has been shot at least once because he is very shy and does not come and bother your food or anything at night. He really tries to avoid contact. I have gotten to where I kind of like him. Of course the day will come when, like all of us, he gets a little old and cannot catch his own food and cannot resist a lot of easy food.

Anyway back to the kids, they showed me where a bear had come to their cabin and chewed up the metal truck tailgate because it smelled of their baits and that is how they managed to kill a bear was with a bad smelling truck as bait.

sil9mm, welcome. We have some other guys from Id. I need to visit one of these years.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts