North Central Ohio Wood Chucks

Hi Buzz10,

I am from NW Ohio and enjoy the pursuit of the whistle pig. The area I live is mostly open fields with a few fencerows. This provides good opportunities for shots. My first choice for guns is my "peashooter". A savage chambered in .243 Win. I shoot a 75grain V-max with explosive results on the woodchuck.
:)

Buzz10,
Also from NW Ohio just east of Toledo and enjoy splattering woodchucks with either a Ruger 22-250 or winchester 338 whisper.
Robster

Great to hear. I guess I am close to the NW Ohio. I am in the Bucyrus/Upper Sandusky area. Plenty of fields out here in farm country. I currently use a AR but have gotten more interested in longer ranges. After all of the expert advice on this forum I am going with a Savage 12 VLP in 22-250 with a 1:9 Twist.

NW Ohio here, west ot Toledo . Plenty of Chucks but very populated and there are times when a 22-250 is too much gun.
I use from 22lr to a hornet to a 221 and on up to a Swift

Buzz I am in crawford county, and Use a LRPV chambered in 22-250AI i also have a 220 swift with a 1-8 twist I kill more crows than groundhogs and really like hunting near the landfill off Old 30.

Last edited:
killa

Crawford County that is awesome! I do most of my hog hunting out in the Wynford District. How long have you been in the long range hunting business?

I started shooting groundhogs with a 22-250 about 1980, I dont shoot as many of them now because the coyotes seem to have really hurt the population, I have turned the guns toward the crows. They are a challenging target and you only get one shot at them. I do however shoot the hogs at long distance I have a few of my rifles zeroed at 300 yards and dont often shoot any any closer than that. Last year I had a couple kills over 650 and a bunch of kills around the 500 yard mark. These distances are not what some of the expert marksmen on this forum would consider long range but I have fun doing it.

Wow that is really impressive I need to get some lessons and some knowledge from you! I have hunted hogs for about 8 years, much more the last few years since my summers are free (i teach high school). I did use an MP-15 AR. But want to take my shooting to the next level. 500 yard shots that is pretty awesome.

Do you reload? I assume you do using an 250 AI.

Buzz,

I'm from Shelby, OH. I have a lot of experience long range shooting. I also hunt a lot of ground hogs and big game. This year I harvested an antelope at 900 yards. A 6x7 bull elk at 1115 yards and a cow elk at 1750 yards. If you want to learn how to shoot long range I can help you. My wife is also a teacher she teaches 2 grade. Ill shoot you a pm when I get home I'm traveling today and trying to submit this post using my blackberry not sure if this is going to work or not.

Buzz it sounds like TH is the long range expert, I dont have anything that can make shots like he can, I would enjoy a lesson as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.