Norma vs Lapua Brass

Last batch of Lapua 300 WM (many years ago) was actually special run made by Norma for Laupa but head stamped Lapua
I have that run of brass, yes it was made by Norma for Lapua, but it is different to the same era Norma. The Lapua stamped brass is heavier and has a thicker web.
I still have 300 un-opened pieces and still using the original 200 piece batch in F-class, I have lost count on number of firings and haven't lost a single case yet, pockets are still tight.
I got 1000 pieces back in '88, stupidly sold 500 in 100 lot bags to other shooters, when I discovered it was discontinued I was kicking myself for selling it.
Lapua were trying to sponsor the comp here and that brass was only .25C each at the time, about a quarter of the normal price.
Norma brass is the other brand I have used in F-class successfully.
I use ADG for my LR hunting when I can get it. Using re-sized 7RM in my 264WM and it is fantastic brass so far, it is tough.

Cheers.

I haven't tried the Lapua brass but have had very good results from the Norma brass for several years, and continue to use it. I have not seen issues with loose primer pockets for up to 7-10 reloads. I use 200-215 gr bullets with 76gr H1000 or 79gr Retumbo., the latter powder generating 2950FPS out of my 24" barrel....no pressure signs.

I haven't tried the Lapua brass but have had very good results from the Norma brass for several years, and continue to use it. I have not seen issues with loose primer pockets for up to 7-10 reloads. I use 200-215 gr bullets with 76gr H1000 or 79gr Retumbo., the latter powder generating 2950FPS out of my 24" barrel....no pressure signs.
Very similar to what I will be reloading. I plan on using Berger 215's with H1000 (starting with 75gr or so). What FPS are you getting with H1000?

Since you are new to reloading, I suggest you pick up some once fired or range brass to practice with...setting up resizing dies, priming, seating bullets. That way you don't mess up a bunch of $1-2 new high end brass until you work out the kinks.

Looking for some new brass for my .300 Win Mag - I am newer to reloading and do not have any experience with either of these.

I know Lapua is starting to produce some .300 Win Mag brass at "some point in Q2". So who knows when that will be and even with that, when you will be able to find it.

Question is, is it worth waiting to try and get some Lapua or should I go with some Norma brass which is in stock locally? Is there really much performance difference in the two?
I've had good luck with Norma.

Currently (and for over 6 years), I run Norma, Peterson, and Lapua (depending on cartridge). Norma is my Fav for larger cartridges, Lapua for the 6mm crowd.. Peterson is OK (way better than H..., etc.).
My observance on the Norma is that the primer pockets seem to be tighter than the others.

my $0.02.

Like said. Norma is way ahead of rem, win, & fed. If adg makes it and it's available, I would choose it over lapua.

Recent Posts