Norma brass

Natty Bumpo

I see a lot of references to the quality of Lapua brass. I've used it in my .308 Win and found it was more consistent with respect to length and weight than Rem or Win. But I never read anyone mentioning Norma brass. It's about the same price as Lapua. They make Weatherby's brass. Anyone have any opinions?

It is very good brass as far as its tolerances go , but its also very soft and won't last nearly as long especialy if you run your loads hot. The 308 Lapua brass is the best I have ever used , though I have heard that RWS brass is on the same level of quality but I've never tried it or talked to anybody that could compair RWS to Lapua. 100 pieces of Lapua brass will generaly last the life of a rifles barrel if it cared fro , meaning properly sized and annealed every 7-10 reloads.

I love Norma brass for the two Winchester Short Mags that I load. I have loaded the 300 WSM for over five years and I have used Winchester and Federal brass as well as Norma. I have loaded the 270 WSM for almost the same time and I have used Winchester, Remington, and Norma brass. The Norma brass is the best. It starts our more uniform (weight, length, etc.) and it has lasted longer than I can believe. I have shot some over 10+ times I have yet to have a split neck or a loose primer pocket. I will admit that I have stressed this brass with very hot loads. I shoot 165-175 bullets as 3000-3100 ft/sec.

I will not say that all Norma brass is this good since I have loaded my 280 Rem with it and I did not find it to be as tough as the Shortmag brass. Norma brass for the WSM caliber that I have loaded is heavier than the others and it has less volume. This was not the case with the 280 Rem brass that I tried.

I also love Lapua brass because it does all that you want brass to do. However, Lapua does not make brass for all the calibers that I load.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts