Norma brass case head bending while sizing

Shane Lindsey

Anyone have this problem before?

I know it is soft brass but I have not had this with other brands just the Norma in the 300 WM. Using a Lee Full length sizer.

Any suggestions how to prevent this? Am I doing something wrong? Can't afford to ruin this brass on the first firing.

At the rim of the case head it bows on both sides just like a saddle.

It seems to extract hard right at the last part of the "bottom" stroke before the case is clear of the die. Lube is RCBS Case Slick in the spray.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 119
Case is getting stuck in the die.
could be oversize brass, undersized die, not enough lube, bad die, wrong shell holder.
Measure a fired case and a full length sized case to see how much difference there is.
Lube it up more but not up by the shoulder or you'll get hydraulic dents.

Do you have a buddy that has a .300 WM die. If so try his die and see if it bends the rim. As others have said, bad die, wrong or bad shell holder, not enough lube or try a different lube. Look at Imperial sizing wax. I haven't had any problems since using the Imperial Wax except do not put too much on the case. The homemade lube(1oz lanolin 12 oz liquid Heet ) also works very well. Try some one else's die and see if that makes a difference. Good Luck...

+1 for the Imperial wax. From your description, sounds like combination of wrong shell holder and need for die cleaning. Sometimes new dies need a LITTLE polishing. Good luck

Use a micrometer to check expander ball make sure its in spec for .30 cal. Also you might try sizing a case with the expander installed measure then removing the expander/ decapper measure and compare and see if the case neck is the proper diameter. Could be the expander needs polished to spec.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.