Noob needs advice on where to start...

Here's what another member did to his 06:

post_old.gif
12-15-2010, 05:10 PM
gunner52
user_offline.gif

Re: Let's see your Varmit rifles !
Just had this one built, Rem 700, 30-06. Busted 8 crows so far and looking forward to yotes now that deer season is over.

doax6r.jpg

2hfnfc6.jpg

Gunnergun)

Tank

I like this kind of thinking... start with what you got and work up. Glad I found these forums. I have a Remington 721 and a Winchester which I don't want to modify due to sentimental reasons. The Remington has had extractor problems which have now been corrected for now. :(

On the note of calibers, I was thinking of starting out with 300 Win Mag. If I wanted upgrade options from there, what would you recommend if someone might want to eventually consider the .388 Edge?

Your nephew's rife is beautiful. Very inspiring!

Caliber...as I said, 300WinMag or bigger. Personally, I went with 300RUM.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-300rum-mcr-70809/

If/when the barrel is cooked, I will move up to one of the 338s.

FYI, the upgrades to my nephew's rifle were a grand total of ~$400

For optics, be sure to look at Sightron SIII. They are great scopes with glass that is as good if not better than Leupold. Several friends of mine use them exclusively on their longrange rigs.

Because of your questions about caliber etc, it seems your mind is still not made up about whether to work with your '06 for now or build something new. Which way are you beginning to lean?

Because of your questions about caliber etc, it seems your mind is still not made up about whether to work with your '06 for now or build something new. Which way are you beginning to lean?

I'll keep tinkering with the .06, but you can't own too many guns, I would like to attempt my 'first project' gun... I'm leaning towards doing on a Savage with the 300 win mag.

I am interested in the 338 or the 6.4-284 Norma in time...

I'll keep tinkering with the .06, but you can't own too many guns, I would like to attempt my 'first project' gun... I'm leaning towards doing on a Savage with the 300 win mag.

I am interested in the 338 or the 6.4-284 Norma in time...

Savage in 300winmag is a good choice. I know that Savage has a LOT of different models. I would recommend you get the heaviest barrel contour you can/want to 'carry', also should be 26"+ in length, be sure it has their accu-trigger and hopefully you will be able to get a decent stock from them too.

LIL- remington ought to get their tale kicked for not offering something like that IN- a 9 twist 22-250, An 8 twist 243, 8.5 twist 6.5-284; 10 or 11 twist 30-06. pm'd the original poster on what i felt was a good buy on a a a you guested it ........ s a v a g e.

LIL- remington ought to get their tale kicked for not offering something like that IN- a 9 twist 22-250, An 8 twist 243, 8.5 twist 6.5-284; 10 or 11 twist 30-06. pm'd the original poster on what i felt was a good buy on a a a you guested it ........ s a v a g e.

Well you know we Savage guys have to stick together!:D Though I am thinking we need to back off, because they are starting to get expensive. Going to have to start buying Stevens and building off of them.:rolleyes:

Tank

LILTANK- I do have a savage model 24D i got when i was 11. bagged a lot of game with it. i need to get a 30-06 like the one in those pics.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.