non-tox

Lead deforms and causes superior wound channels. We are getting closer with some of the new hybrid shot. Costs wise it's silly.

Lead deforms in the chamber upon powder ignition causing lousy dispersion of shot and open patterns. Good to 60yds.

You get what you pay for.

#6 TSS fully penetrated a sandhill crane at a lasered 100yds. #6 lead shot would have barely punctured the feathers and skin at 100yds. And you'd have to aim 2 1/2' high to get the proper elevation with lead at 100yds.

#6 TSS fully penetrated a sandhill crane at a lasered 100yds. #6 lead shot would have barely punctured the feathers and skin at 100yds. And you'd have to aim 2 1/2' high to get the proper elevation with lead at 100yds.

130 yards is amazing. You really need to document those and get Guinness involved. The longest documented clay target was broken at 130 yards by George Digweed. Great shooting brining down cranes at 130 yards I can only imagine the lead, I have enough issues with 50 yard crossers.

The Hevishot is a tungsten based shot and is heavier than lead.
It is able to hold it's pattern much better and hit a lot harder
than traditional lead

Someone needs to hit the pattern board at 100 yards and post. Would also like to see the drop numbers and dispersion at one hundo.

My only serious waterfowl experience was North Dakota for snow geese in 2013. I balked at the price of Hevi Shot given the expected shooting volume so went steel. What a mistake. Steel shot is one of the most inhumane inventions ever to be forced upon hunters. Didn't realize how hard it was to get close shots on snow geese, and didn't realize steel shot couldn't even cleanly kill a goose at 20 yards. On a do-over I'd spend the money on the right shells.

Dropped a wounded pheasant at 80 yards with #5 lead on the same trip though...

ATH
I totally agree. The Hevishot cleanly and effectively kills waterfowl even
at extended ranges. Less cripples actually equates to LESS waterfowl
being killed

Also, when you factor in the multiple shots required to take most waterfowl with steel shot and the ability to USE one Hevishot shell to take the same bird then the steel shot is actually more expensive in the long run

The irony of this entire discussion is that, if you give it some thought, is that shot, any shot, is toxic to birds if they are centered well in the pattern. Sustained lead of follow through method. Don't know why it is called non toxic when it pretty darn toxic to well shot birds.
Now, do not start with the metallurgical mumble jumbo as I am attempting to lighten this discussion. I understand the different shot metals and been hunting waterfowl and upland birds for better than 5 decades.
But, birds at 100-120 yds.? Not saying it cannot be done. Only that drawing them in close has been my mantra. Hey, i'm Just a old waterfowler that has had some success and lots of enjoyment doing so. MTG

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.