non tapered rifle barrel

oldfamily

I was wondering if there would be any reason not to have a rifle built with a barrel that would be 1.25 at both ends? I am going to call Lilja tomorrow to ask on caliber and if they have any idea if this would work. I don't see why not, but if it has been done and with bad results then why bother?

Hi i have used a 1.25" paralell barrel with good results. The main thing you have to do is make sure the rifle is still balanced if the rifle is front heavy you will have truobles. If your stock is heavy enough to have a good balance you will be good to go. The barrels i have are 9 twist 284Win target barrels for Open F Class and the stock has an integral barrel block and is made out of 3/4" alloy plate and 2" square Alloy Bar The rifle weighs 22LB when the 1.25" 30" barrel is fitted and this is the weight limit for Open F Class at an international standard

Cheers Bill
Australia

Its just called the 1.250" straight cylinder barrel design. I have used alot of them on my Heavy V-Block rifles. They are pretty heavy barrels. If your using a Rem 700 with conventional bedding I would limit barrel length to about 27" at most.

If you want a longer barrel you will need to go with a different receiver. Lawton M7500 would be my first choice.

You will have no ill effects from this size of a barrel except heavier rifle weight. Barrels get pretty heavy pretty fast when there is no contour to them!!

It will be accurate as can be though depending on the machining of the receiver and fit to the barrel and bedding.

Kirby Allen(50)

I have been shooting a model 70 controlled feed winchester with a 29" Lilja 1.250" barrel full floated. I shoot the rifle in F class and the barrel weight is an advantage for both recoil (300wm) and heat dispersion. As someone else mentioned it is important to have a stock that fits well. Also weight will have to be added to the rear of the stock to help balance.

I'm getting started with a M70 coyote 7mm wsm. Can you recommend any bases (about 25moa)for the winchesters? Nearly everything I find is for 700's and Savages.

"If a man speaks in the wilderness, and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?"

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.