Non residents can hunt Elk in COLORADO without licensing ?????

bigbuck

I was told today by a man I know has hunted Colorado for several years that another person he knows is going to colorado to hunt Elk on a private ranch and they charge 1000 dollars for each Elk and non residents dont have to buy any out of state license? Is this so or is someone bending some rules ? When I mentioned license I was told that sense it was on private property nonresidents didnt have to have them. Just wanted to see what the locals had to say about this.

In every state that I am aware of the wildlife is owned by the state or commonwealth, UNLESS it is a High Fence captive farm, licensed and approved by the state, in which case the animals are the property of the farm owner.
If they are free ranging animals and the land owner allows hunters to "harvest" the animals with out a State issued license he puts himself and the hunters open to arrest and prosecution.

Dave

Thanks guys for the replys but I was hoping to see a locals reply .
Its kind of funny how as long as its high fence and the farmers Elk he can sell them license free to nonresidents .

Well in our neck of the woods if a farmers cow gets out of his pasture and totals out your vehicle he is not responsable for the cow unless he has it tagged to his ranch.

So my point is this if he can do whatever he wants with it because it is a "farm" then when IT gets out of HIS pasture then he is not liable . Gotta love my state !!

Too much ranting :)

I guess it bothers me a little when the state of Colorado charges me 650 bucks for a tag but then lets a "private" ranch wave any licensing . If you tell the game wardens in our state that you are Private property , you better hope you never ever need em cuz they want come . I mean you tell them to stay out . I guess I have a different view on this one:)

"Hunting preserves" or other fenced hunts where animals are raised or brought in for the purpose of hunting in these establishments are in every state. Non-native species, especially hogs & exotic goats, are often found in the wild after they have escaped these fenced enclosures. They have established themselves in some areas and the rules for harvesting them are rarely clear to the average hunter stumbling upon them.

Wild hog populations are very damaging to most environments and rather difficult to control.

"Hunting preserves" or other fenced hunts where animals are raised or brought in for the purpose of hunting in these establishments are in every state. Non-native species, especially hogs & exotic goats, are often found in the wild after they have escaped these fenced enclosures. They have established themselves in some areas and the rules for harvesting them are rarely clear to the average hunter stumbling upon them.

Wild hog populations are very damaging to most environments and rather difficult to control. Elk, on the other hand, would be a rather exciting animal to find in areas where they would not be expected.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCollectionDocuments/DOW/RulesRegs/Brochure/BigGame/biggame.pdf

see page 6:

item 6 of that list says:
"The voucher must be taken to a license
agent or Wildlife Service Center to be
redeemed for a proper and valid license
PRIOR to hunting. The appropriate
license fees are paid at that time."

Haven't done it, but that seems to indicate they still have to purchase a license. Call CO Parks and Wildlife if you want to really get the skinny.

Attachments

• CO landowner preference.jpg
    CO landowner preference.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 12
http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCollectionDocuments/DOW/RulesRegs/Brochure/BigGame/biggame.pdf

see page 6:

item 6 of that list says:
"The voucher must be taken to a license
agent or Wildlife Service Center to be
redeemed for a proper and valid license
PRIOR to hunting. The appropriate
license fees are paid at that time."

Haven't done it, but that seems to indicate they still have to purchase a license. Call CO Parks and Wildlife if you want to really get the skinny.

Wow, I will get the exact location in Colorado and then post it and maybe you can see if the rules are the same. Thanks for the info........

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.