Non-Magnum Primers for Magnums

Luckily mine pushed out of the barrel easily, but I didn't have a rod with me. That was a bummer, and won't happen again...

Vettepilot

I always check my case when I am placing the case into the press to put a bullet into the case. I make sure I have enough light to clearly see that. The other is I move my powder case into another case tray. That way I don't try and double load with powder. Most of my case I couldn't over load, because they are very full to start with or the powder would spill out all over the place.

Me I never use mag primers, I find that the burn is more even and consistant and prevents "Bridging" even in RUMs, I have a post on here that explains my findings and reasoning I might look for it. Fifty Driver has some of the same views and findings.

Dean

Me I never use mag primers, I find that the burn is more even and consistant and prevents "Bridging" even in RUMs, I have a post on here that explains my findings and reasoning I might look for it. Fifty Driver has some of the same views and findings.

Dean
I'm the same, I just didn't want to start the age old argument

Albuquerque
I was in ABQ (Kirtland AFB) from 1996-2000. I know that there is at least a couple that is from the ABQ area. Post exactly what you need with your location.

@nt7332 , Brother, if you are still around in the local area, can you help a brother or refer him to like to someone that could.

I am pretty sure they will help you if they see it. Good luck.

Ed

Last edited:
In this thread I have several posts on the subject, between all of the posts combined you will find my reasoning if not valid at least something to consider, and that there might be something to it.

Dean

You can't make this poop up, when I was growing up I lived in a little town named Nitro It's in Quebec Canada "look it up all you want" the towns main employer was a company named CIL. I guess you could call it the DuPont of Canada they made explosives and yes there were accidents and loud booms and Explosions on a regular basis. "the whole town shook" I think if I remember correctly they use to make rounds for Howitzers, Anyways my buddies father use to come home with these 5 gallon "Jerry can" type of container and it had powder in them he was high up in the company and could just walk out with it and no one said Boo imagine that today. Now where was I oh ya he was a big time hunter in northern Quebec, you know Caribou, Bear, stuff like that. He had to have the most unique gun collection I have ever seen, it was all these large calber rifles 404 Jeffry 416 Rigby 458 Lott even some 500 stuff and even larger than that but I don't remember what they exactly were. But I do remember him telling me when he reloaded these large calibers that he use to start by loading 5gr of pistol powder first and then proceed to load that mystery powder to top off the case. I asked him why he did that he said that the powder was too slow and used it as an igniter, "his powders little helper" he use to call it. I will always remember him he was larger than life and was very well read and knew everything and there was no Google back then. I remember the house was not that big but it had it's own library.

Dean

Last edited:
I have always used Magnum primers since I started reloading. Worked with an old gunsmith years ago and he stated that if you started load work up with magnums and watch for pressure signs you'll have no problems. So far that has worked. I load probably 60% of reloads with CCI 250's. Its worked well for me.

I have always used Magnum primers since I started reloading. Worked with an old gunsmith years ago and he stated that if you started load work up with magnums and watch for pressure signs you'll have no problems. So far that has worked. I load probably 60% of reloads with CCI 250's. Its worked well for me.
If that what you are using that not a problem, and the gunsmith is correct, but watching for pressure is a must on any round that you load or primer you use. The primers all a little different.

Got out today and shot some 300 WBY loads over the Oehler 35. 84 grain load of H1000 and 200 speer hot core bullet. 215 Fed, 9 1/2 Rem and WLR primers, shot one each of 9 1/2 and WLR @ around 35 degrees. 9 1/2 loads were a compressed load. the rest were @ 55 degrees.

215 Fed
2958 cold bore

9 1/2 Rem compressed load
2977 cold

WLR
2945 cold

Rifle is Winchester M70 with factory 26" barrel and Witts break, I bought this rifle for a 300 PRC build but it shoots to good to mess with for a while. Small sample, but I think you have options.

Becasue we hunt when it can be really cold we use CCI 250 in all hunting loads to 70 grains and Fed 215 for anything above that. I can tell you from experience with the 7 RUM, and 378 Bee that the CCI 250 are not adequate for 80+ to 100 grain loads of H1000 or 7828 in 40F or colder weather. We consistently got delayed ignition or clumped powder that was partially burned but failed to completely ignite and go bang. We tried more than one batch of CCI 250. There is a very good reason Roy Weatherby had Federal specially develop the 215 Federal primer for the 378 Case.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.