NoCO Long Range Options

BobbyBob

Hi everyone!

My name is Dave, I am new to the forum...so much great content on here. I have always been a bird hunter and am making the switch to big game in CO. Looking to learn more about long-range shooting options in northern Colorado (front range)...minus the Pawnee Grasslands.

Looking to get connected with some like-minded folks that want to get out and do some distance shooting.

The only other place I've been to is the Pawnee Sportsmans Center near Briggsdale.

Otherwise there are some sort of long range shooting option at a range north of Cheyenne and a range outside of Larimie. The Colorado Rifle Club east of Denver has some longer distance options too.

Depends on how far you're planning to shoot. Great Guns in Nunn has multiple ranges and their longest goes out to 300yds. If you want to go farther than 300, I usually find patches of public land and shoot rocks or setup targets. You can go find areas at Pawnee GL (off range), and shoot out to 500-800yds, but it can get dangerous out there with all the other yahoos and their guns. I don't go out there much because it just doesn't feel safe.

Unfortunately, I haven't found an 'easy' place to go plink past 300yds and 'be back in an hour'. It's typically a 1-2hr one-way drive to find a spot and shoot; praying the wind isn't ripping where I'm driving. I prefer driving a couple hours to shoot in the mtns rather than driving to 1-2hrs to Denver and shoot next to a bunch of other folks. Hope this helps.

Welcome to the forum, Dave!

Colorado Rifle Club near Byers has a high power range to 1000 and has metallic silhouette but not sure of the max range there.

I just checked - Long Range Precision Rifle described here …

I drive up to Pawnee Sportsman's Center from Firestone as its the closest range that doesn't require an expensive fee to join a club and crazy amount of money for yearly dues. I think I pay 185.00 a year for PSC, and you can shoot steel from 400-1000, during the week there is no one there but you, even on weekends there may be 5-7 people shooting the most.
I will not go out to the grasslands, as others have said, its crazy out there.
Great guns is nice, a little more pricey per a year but the 300 yard range is nice and you can drive to your target.