No shoulder bump

take it back to your builder, these ideas aren't working

W6o4Sqo.jpg

And having a closed mind will not help the OP either, he is using competition shell holders that do not push the case as far into the die as a standard shell holder.

And the OP is getting crushed shoulders during sizing, so I would blame the die before blaming the rifle. And your idea wont fix the problem as long as you are sucking on lemons. :rolleyes:

W6o4Sqo.jpg

And having a closed mind will not help the OP either, he is using competition shell holders that do not push the case as far into the die as a standard shell holder.

And the OP is getting crushed shoulders during sizing, so I would blame the die before blaming the rifle. And your idea wont fix the problem as long as you are sucking on lemons. :rolleyes:

Just kidding BIGEDP51, you are correct, :)

it probably is the die

I have never heard of this ever happening

OK, so back at the ranch that this post was on.

Today I decided to do a little experimenting and removed my die from my RCBS summit press and set it up for my Hornady single stage. The first case I measured was 2.470" from Datum to Case head. I ran the case into the FL size die and measured a 2.468". Welp! Ain't touching it.

OK, so back at the ranch that this post was on.

Today I decided to do a little experimenting and removed my die from my RCBS summit press and set it up for my Hornady single stage. The first case I measured was 2.470" from Datum to Case head. I ran the case into the FL size die and measured a 2.468". Welp! Ain't touching it.

And always remember "REAL" Texicans never give up till the fight is over.

Even if fighting a Texican divorce attorney!

Remember the Alimony....................

Let me see if I have this strait.

Your fired brass fits back in the gun easily before it ever sees a die .. Yes No

If yes, you say you can run the brass through you FL die...you can feel the brass being squeezed, but the length actually grows in length , even with the die screwed all the way to the shell holder.....Yes No

AFTER you size your brass as above it does not fit in the chamber, or chambers hard....Yes No

If the answer to the above questions is yes, either you need to machine a few thousands off of the bottom of your die or you can get shell holders that are different thicknesses. This will allow your brass to push deeper into your die. You can test by sticking different thicknesses of feeler gauges between your shell holder and the bottom of your brass. Start with a couple of thou, run the brass through the die and check the fit in the gun. If no go, add a couple more thou and try again. If you don't have access to a feeler gauges you can try scotch tape on the bottom of your case. 1 layer = about .002.

Thanks,
Tod

Another question....are you starting with and having problem with new Bertrom EDGE brass from Sean? I had all kinds problems....unexplained problems.... that made NO sense to me when starting with NEW BRASS. I am not sure what the problem was, but with NEW brass I had to screw my die in an extra 10 thou to make the brass chamber. The reason I know it was 10 thou is after the first firing I checked the head space after I sized them again......off by ten thou. After that I had ZERO problems.

I had ZERO problems using 300 RUM brass as a compairson.

Just another thought,

Tod

Another question....are you starting with and having problem with new Bertrom EDGE brass from Sean? I had all kinds problems....unexplained problems.... that made NO sense to me when starting with NEW BRASS. I am not sure what the problem was, but with NEW brass I had to screw my die in an extra 10 thou to make the brass chamber. The reason I know it was 10 thou is after the first firing I checked the head space after I sized them again......off by ten thou. After that I had ZERO problems.

I had ZERO problems using 300 RUM brass as a compairson.

Just another thought,

Tod

The brass that I bought was new brass but not from Shawn. I noticed with the new brass that they had a round shoulder junction. After fire forming I didn't have a problem. But I noticed the other night that the press I was using was broken. I wonder how many cartridges I loaded with this broken thing.:rolleyes:

The brass that I bought was new brass but not from Shawn. I noticed with the new brass that they had a round shoulder junction. After fire forming I didn't have a problem. But I noticed the other night that the press I was using was broken. I wonder how many cartridges I loaded with this broken thing.:rolleyes:

If it was Brass marked "338 EDGE" it came from Sean at some point. Sounds like you found a (the) problem. I would recheck the headspace the second time around if it is EDGE brass. Like I said, I had an experiance that I can not explain, and I have been loading for long Range compitition for many years.....kind of anal!! :D

Good luck,
Tod

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.