No Serial Number Can I Sell

andrews1958

I have an older 30-40 spoterized Krag that I plan on selling but I can not find a serial number on it. Is this required for a sale of a firearm to be legal? Did rifles have a serial number on them back in that era?

I have a Winchester Model 58, made between 1928 and 1934, none of them were ever serialized by the manufacturer. They sell all the time, for way too high of a premium (or I'd have more of them). So it's not impossible to not have a s/n, just maybe improbable depending on when it was made.

I have an older 30-40 spoterized Krag that I plan on selling but I can not find a serial number on it. Is this required for a sale of a firearm to be legal? Did rifles have a serial number on them back in that era?

how old is it?

if you wanted the headache you could get it classified as a C&R lol.

seriously though, call the ATF or a local FFL and ask them if all else fails

This link might help:
Looks like if the rifle was made prior to 1968, it didn't have to have a serial number & you could legally buy/sell such a rifle, even today.

lots of good information here, BUT!
according to the ATF any gun that was issued a SN from the manufacturer cannot have it removed. Since all Krag rifles had them (to the best of my knowledge) I would say it's illegal and could cause you an issue.

Here is something to think about. Currently any firearm manufactured before I believe 1898 is considered an antique and not a firearm. It can be bought and sold without the government being involved. On the Krag there is a chart showing manufacture dates floating around. Now because of the looming gun control these pre-1898 firearms are going for unreasonable prices. I have no affiliation with this site but have a look at elkcreekcompany.net where he is asking/getting $1300 for old Krags that have been cleaned up. You mileage may vary.

This is the instructions from a current 4473 transfer form. If it didn't ever have a number this is the official answer.

Attachments

• 20210219_080251.jpg
    20210219_080251.jpg
    613.9 KB · Views: 287
This is the instructions from a current 4473 transfer form. If it didn't ever have a number this is the official answer.
Notice it says LEGALLY
it is illegal to remove a SN no matter what the age (only withholding is pre 1900 which fall to antiques and aren't firearms.

To the best of your knowledge does it or did it ever have a serial number? Is there anywhere that looks like one was removed?
If no, then stop worrying about it and sell it

The location of the S/N is left side about an inch or so from the back end of the receiver. That is where it is on mine. Forward of that it is stamped "Springfield Armory". Hope that helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.