No Recoil Lug - What say ye?

6mm-SAUM? :rolleyes:

There wouldn't be some long skinny CEB's in the near future, would there be?
(how did the prototypes work anywho?)

Sounds like a very interesting cartridge.

t

I was also considering a 257 SAUM. I already have the 6-284 and there's not a lot of diff between the SAUM and the 284, but the SAUM does have a little more capacity. Decisions, decisions :rolleyes:

What prototypes :D

I have a 60's L579 which is very different from yours so my suggestions are more generic or from my WSM experience.

Regarding the recoil lug:
If it were me, I'd bed the recoil lug to the stock. Then again to the action. Making sure to load the action forward so that the rear tang was relieved of pressure as much as possible.

Regarding 300WSM for the original caliber. I have this chambering in a Weatherby Vangard. Stock barrel load development for 6 months never achieved what I want. Since I was not satisfied with the original barrel I changed it to a Pac-Nor. Now shoots so well I feel confident in competitions and of course hunting. Factory copper is sub moa.

Since you are considering rebarreling, if it were me I'd go 6.5-300 WSM or 7-300 WSM 8 twist for both. 6-300 WSM for me would be too overbore but would be quite a chambering again go 8 twist as you will probably shoot long bullets. To make the dies for 6, 6.5 or 7 WSM, get a reading S die for 270WSM or 300WSM and bushing set for your chosen caliber. All other dimensions are the same.

The most important thing if you change, do what you would enjoy.

I have a 60's L579 which is very different from yours so my suggestions are more generic or from my WSM experience.

Regarding the recoil lug:
If it were me, I'd bed the recoil lug to the stock. Then again to the action. Making sure to load the action forward so that the rear tang was relieved of pressure as much as possible.

Regarding 300WSM for the original caliber. I have this chambering in a Weatherby Vangard. Stock barrel load development for 6 months never achieved what I want. Since I was not satisfied with the original barrel I changed it to a Pac-Nor. Now shoots so well I feel confident in competitions and of course hunting. Factory copper is sub moa.

Since you are considering rebarreling, if it were me I'd go 6.5-300 WSM or 7-300 WSM 8 twist for both. 6-300 WSM for me would be too overbore but would be quite a chambering again go 8 twist as you will probably shoot long bullets. To make the dies for 6, 6.5 or 7 WSM, get a reading S die for 270WSM or 300WSM and bushing set for your chosen caliber. All other dimensions are the same.

The most important thing if you change, do what you would enjoy.

The recoil lug fit's extremely snug in the molded stock so bedding isn't really an issue there. The action is also snug in the stock but might benefit from bedding. That said, I just don't think bedding is the problem in this rifle shooting 3 MOA give or take and i have seen some 4 MOA groups. I've decided I'm not going to invest any $$$ in the tupperware stock. I'll leave it as it is and sell it and put the cash toward a McMillan.

I like all the cartridges you mention but not in a short action. I found that out with this rifle in 300 WSM. I had to shoot it as a single shot if I didn't want to bury the bullets in the case and get them close to the lands. Also already have the 6.5 WSM

The reason I'm picking the SAUM is it has a shorter case and I am going to push the neck down a little with a 40* slope to make it shorter yet. this will allow me to seat longer bullets more efficiently and 6.5 and larger would be too long for the mag box.

Thanks for the input

Hi Gentlemen,

What happened with the rebarreling?? Did it work??? Curiously enough, I too have the same problem WITH the same gun. Ordered a McM Sako Hunter (EDGE) and discovered the action moving around (via paint coming off of the stock in the pillar area), thinking of milling a new lug just like you and glass-bedding it to the stock.

Completely old stuff but came across it on a Google search....

Cheers,

Ricardo.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.