No p-dogs in Michigan. Suggestions?

engineer40

I've been thinking about taking my dad prairie dog hunting sometime. Neither one of us has ever been.

Since we don't have any in Michigan, what would be the closest state that would have ample supply?

Are getting a license to hunt these from out of state ever an issue? If you even need a license?

Michigan has tons of state land but I realize a lot of other states don't. Would we be best to try contacting farmers? Or are there "prairie dog hunting guides"?

Goal would be to find somewhere within 1 day of driving (12 hours or under) and make a long weekend out of it. Blast some p-dogs for a couple days and then drive home on Monday.

You guys feel like this is feasible? Thanks!

Stay home do not go. Its more additive than crack cocaine and if you go you'll spend your life savings doing it every year.....lol Well that's what I learned anyway. I would think there should be some good dog towns in eastern South Dakota or Nebraska. Not sure how far that is for you but im sure some other guys will chime in. Good luck makes me wanna gogun)

West of the MO river in South Dakota are where you will find the larger towns. Make no mistake, its a blast. If you are in to plain numbers, the 22lr, 22 win mag and 17 calls will kill way more than the big bores and are a lot easier on the ears and shoulder. They will pop up right next to you. When you let bigger bores loose, the whole town goes into the hole and the waiting begins. Work of caution, let your barrel cool. I heat bulged a .222 once. Also, my father and I burned through a whole case of .22 mag in 2 days. Good times......

I shot about 900 of them out in Wyoming in 3 weeks, going and coming from the interstate on the way too and from work leaving my property. Every one of them I shot with my 10/22 Ruger.

What others said is true - shooting prairie dogs is addictive. I just got back from the annual prairie dog massacre in Montana. The area around Billings has bunches. You can find State ground with them or ask the local ranchers for access which most are happy to give. I usually take a 22LR with a scope that allows me to dial up out to 200 yards or so. I also take a 223 Rem which is solid out to 400 yards and a 260 Rem for 400 yards plus. My nephew has a couple kills over 1,000 yards with his 260 Rem. Be sure to use frangible bullets like the VMAXs to minimize ricochets. You also have to watch your barrel temp. I have been doing this many years and this year I still lost track of the 223 for a bit and it got hotter than I like. This is also why you take more than one rifle - so when one gets hot you can switch. Also consider taking a portable shooting bench. I have one from Caldwell that swivels 360 degrees and is solid. I also use their front rest and rear bag. I started 10 for 10 with this setup and the 223. The last of that string was 403 yards. Then the wind came up and it got much tougher. Great fun though.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts