No more Wood?

Don't sweat it; if you want wood, get it. Somehow the old Swedish Mausers we all bought a few years ago seem to shoot just fine and they were built decades ago. Took my Winchester Supergrade to Alaska and no problem. You either like beautiful things or you don't, and not disparaging those who look at guns, rods, and reels, etc., simply as tools. They sure save a lot of money.

Wood always has that special place on a rifle, especially on the heirloom ones. My wife loves the wood stocked ones because the are pretty. The M1 Garand would not be the same with a stainless/synthetic look compared to the classic walnut/parkerized. The new materials are practical for their intended use though.

The manufacturers may not be offering new products with wood stocks so that void is filled by companies like Boyd. They offer a huge selection of wood stocks. Many of them can pass as OEM.

There are so many varieties of wood that have become illegal to import so the manufactures are always looking for new types of wood as replacement.

Wood that used to be in abundance at one time can now be considered threatened species when forests are clear cut for development.

The Gibson guitar company was busted not long ago for having illegal wood. Can you imagine a manufacturer spending $$$ on a team to continually research what species of wood they can and cannot import. Researching laws in this country and countries around the world. They'd have to travel the world instead of buying the raw material sight unseen.

No such thing as to pretty to hunt with. Your telling me if some smokin hot babe wanted to hunt with you your answer would be " sorry your to pretty to hunt with"?? To think all you had to do was hunt with her and she would give you other rewards ;) that's the gun I'm talking about.

No such thing as to pretty to hunt with. Your telling me if some smokin hot babe wanted to hunt with you your answer would be " sorry your to pretty to hunt with"?? To think all you had to do was hunt with her and she would give you other rewards ;) that's the gun I'm talking about.
The difference is with the babe, any marks I put on her would wash off...😳

Heavy, not so much. Because we're removing the wood that's being replaced with Aircraft T6 aluminum in the bedding chassis, we find nearly neutral weight gain compared to a pillar bedded traditional hardwood stock. Typical range is from 2.5 to 3.25 lbs. Laminates are heavier than hardwood, by any maker. This is a particularly light stock that's on the bench right now, 2lb 4oz is an exception, but it's possible.
Wes Chapman
Accurate Innovations
aigunstocks.com
View attachment 218532
BEAUTIFUL! Good to know about the weights. I always wondered how you guys got the aluminum in there and exactly how far it went!

Heavy, not so much. Because we're removing the wood that's being replaced with Aircraft T6 aluminum in the bedding chassis, we find nearly neutral weight gain compared to a pillar bedded traditional hardwood stock. Typical range is from 2.5 to 3.25 lbs. Laminates are heavier than hardwood, by any maker. This is a particularly light stock that's on the bench right now, 2lb 4oz is an exception, but it's possible.
Wes Chapman
Accurate Innovations
aigunstocks.com
View attachment 218532
Cool.

BEAUTIFUL! Good to know about the weights. I always wondered how you guys got the aluminum in there and exactly how far it went!
A good question, and one of the things that differs from other 'chassis' bedding blocks...ours runs from the rear tang of the receiver all the way forward to the front sling swivel stud-full length, isolating the movement of the wood from imparting stress to the barrelled action. Aluminum pillars press fit into the chassis, eliminating the wood crush as well.

Wes Chapman
Accurate Innovations
aigunstocks.com

Well, as they say; "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder." I used to think AR's were butt ugly, but I've learned to love them. But I still think wood is absolutely beautiful, and definitely still has a place in this world. It's a shame it has gotten so expensive.

Just for grins, I am presently building an AR10 with wood furniture. I wish I could afford an exotic wood stock for my Winchester Model 70!! Somehow I don't think a Boyds wood laminate stock would look right on that gun, but that's just me....

Vettepilot

When my son turned 21 I gave him his choice of the following Jim Cloward rifles. All pre-war Model 70s. JK Cloward is no longer working. Possibly the finest maker of Hi-Power competition rifles, armourer for the 2007 Palma team. He is blind with macular degeneration. I'm just an old fashioned oldster!
rifles.JPG

When my son turned 21 I gave him his choice of the following Jim Cloward rifles. All pre-war Model 70s. JK Cloward is no longer working. Possibly the finest maker of Hi-Power competition rifles, armourer for the 2007 Palma team. He is blind with macular degeneration. I'm just an old fashioned oldster!
OHH!!! MY EYES! MY EYES!!! They're BURNING! I can't look anymore!!😉

That, sir, is perhaps the finest collection of weaponry I've ever laid eyes on. Now they're stuck and can't leave the view!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.