No more supplier/manufacturer complaint threads

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
Over the years I have always winced inwardly when I saw threads where 2 parties air their differences publicly over the customer's complaints. These are non-productive nearly all the time and often set standers-by against each other as well when they join the fray. Only 2 parties know what really happened and it is too easy for simple misunderstandings to get blown way out of proportion.

Yesterday we had a very active "Complaint Thread". I am making absolutely no judgments about the details of that thread other than to say it made me realize it is time to change the rules. Both parties to it are fine people with very successful businesses. As I understand it, they are now working behind the scenes to handle the matter privately.

So from now on, please, no Complaint Threads.

There will be no threads started for the purpose of airing your problems with suppliers or manufacturers. Handle those issues privately .

Your house, your rules.

I hate reading them, and generally don't, but sometimes they are a last resort for someone who has tried everything else they can think of first....(and seem to generally get a response from a vender/manufacturer) ....

JeffVN

Len, I have a question.

Can there be a thread that gives time frames for vendors?

For instance: I ordered a barrel from XYZ and they quoted me 12 weeks and it arrived in 8 weeks, great service. OR I didn't get my barrel for 20 weeks and I couldn't take it on my hunt:(

I agree that the other deleted thread became very personal, but knowing how long components will take is vital when deciding which manufacturer to go with!

edge.

PS If you can't post that, can you post a thread that asks for info?

Like I am going to build a rifle for a trip to Africa and it MUST be completed in 20 weeks.
I want a barrel from ABC they quoted 16 weeks, or XYZ and they quoted 16 weeks too.
Has anyone dealt with these companies enough to tell me which will REALLY make my deadline?

Len, I have a question.

Can there be a thread that gives time frames for vendors?

For instance: I ordered a barrel from XYZ and they quoted me 12 weeks......I didn't get my barrel for 20 weeks and I couldn't take it on my hunt:(

YES, but be careful not to let the thread turn into something else.

Can you post a thread that asks for info?

Like I am going to build a rifle for a trip to Africa and it MUST be completed in 20 weeks.
I want a barrel from ABC they quoted 16 weeks, or XYZ and they quoted 16 weeks too.
Has anyone dealt with these companies enough to tell me which will REALLY make my deadline?

YES

Thanks Len !!!

I hate to see things come to this but you are right ,It needs to stop.!

I was taught that if you did not have anything good to say "Don't say anything"

I would suggest that every one gives good reviews when warranted.

If a vendor gives me the run around and a bunch of double talk I cancel the order
and move on "Never To Return". and some times I hear from others how great he
treated them so I just reply "GREAT" and leave it at that.

When I read that vendor x delivers on time and will talk to you by enough people
on this site I will try him because they cant all be wrong.

When placing an order I always tell the vendor "Tell me when I will receive the product, don't
give me an unrealistic delivery date.

I do believe in commitment and if the vendor doesn't give you a reasonable reason for not
delivering what he promised ,Don't get mad or even just get another vendor.

For example= I hear a half dozen barrel makers mentioned over and over on this site about how good they are, and on rare occasions a bad review on one of them but when you weigh
the good against the bad they will always come out on top.

It is always nice to be warned about a potential problem but the problem may not be with the
vendor, or the customer but with both. (Oil and Water).

Any way NUFF SAID !!!!!!

J E CUSTOM

I understand your point, while I have never posted a complaint- I do feel it is useful to know about problem guns, ammo, powder, etc. By completely forbidding anyone to inform others about a problem, you could be eliminating very useful safety information. Also, some huckster, may be ripping-off shooters, ie taking money for products that never ship-most of us have seen this kind of thing before. I'm with you on intent, but believe the rule should be more flexible, as a protection and service to those that respect what others on the board have to say.

Oh NO, you mean we'll have to whine endlessly about other stuff ? Or maybe really we'll have to really get read MORE stuff about long range hunting and shooting? Can you also ban the "who here hunts turkeys" and other similar inane posts?

Good job Len keep it up, our focus on long range hunting will continue to improve. :) I really like the place, I just know one day I'll make a friend here.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.