No Click LR carry gun

i'm purchasing a PST scope for basically this reason. it has hash marks every 2moa down to 30. i have more faith in this type of system than turning turrets. my budget doesn't allow for nightforce scopes and a shot over 1k is just not in my set-up/goal. perfect conditions and sighters would be required for anything farther but i would still use the reticle for holdover.

I also use the holdover method exclusivly. My currant scope is a springfield gen-3 mil-dot 4-14 ffp with hold over marks out to 1000 yds for a 308 win. The rifle is a 375 tejas and I sight in with the 350 smk at 200 yds and shoot all other ranges and just keep moving the target back untill I determine all other points of impact. 3-300, 4-470, 5-650, 6-800, 7-950, 8-1150, 9-1370, 10- unknown yet. I then use hold over-under for in between ranges. Im looking at the vortex viper pst 6-24 with the EBR-1 reticle to do the same. Has worked very well for keeping my freezer full.

my ultimate light, cheap *long range rifle (*deer and elk inside 800) cost me total of a bought 250$. it consists of an inherited wwii 8mm german mauser (with old timer hand built custom stock), a centerpoint 4-16x mil-dot ir and timiney trigger set to 2.5#.
2 weeks ago it shot a 7 3/4", 800 yrd, 5 shot group. using mils for hold over, shot from prone off the caldwell bipod and rear instock monopod. shooting 200grain smks with 51 grains imr 4350
some are gonna say ***!! centerpoint? well heres my experience. i bought it about 2 years ago, installed it so crosshairs are plumb and level, dial tested for plumb at full range of turrets and 12 moa for box, both at 100 yrds. passed with flying colors. used it for a year with great success. about a year ago i had it out with a friend. it was sitting on the edge of the table on its bipod. i bumped the table the rifle fell off the table directly on the rear portion of the scope. the scopes top turret smacked directly on a heafty rock. thought for sure it was done for (not a big deal at 70$) i picked up the rifle and fired one round at the 800 yrd plate. BING!!! dead center! i've continued to shoot it and have not had to reset 0 once. (i do dial it often)

this is my favorite rifle of them all

Last edited:
All of the ballistic reticles work similar, you need the difference in inches between aim points/crosshairs, accurate MV and Exbal and you can figure for ANY power, not just the max or mftr listed power.

BH
great info, ill have to try it. thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts