No big surprise - Burris Signatures slipping on 338 LM

Kanab

I really didn't expect them to hold, but it was the only ring set I had on hand to mount this Nightforce 8-32x BR scope with. Torqued to 20+ inch lbs, the 30mm Signatures wouldn't hold the scope in place. After about 20 rounds it had moved to the point where the zoom ring area was bumping against the ring insert. I wish my Badger ring order would hurry up and get here!!!

I have never done it, but have heard of soldering rings and scope on heavy African guns, in fact, it is described in the literature I received with a steel 3X12X56 Kahles some years ago. Also, contact cement, and a thin layer of rubber electrical insulation tape has worked, in some cases.

Good hunting. LB

edit, come to think of it, those were not "split" rings that were soldered. Oh well?

Make sure that you degrease the ring bearing surface and the scope. I tighten the screws until they will no longer move. I bet its a lot more then what you have done. I have never had a scope move even on my cannons. I use Sig rings with and without inserts on every 'important' rifle.

I just don't think you have torqued down enough. I have some pretty heavy scopes mounted on my cannons.

Jerry

On my .50 BMG's I normally use Badger Max 50's or IOR wide rings, lapped and torqued to 15 inch lbs. and have never had one move even with 800 grain solids loaded pretty hot.

I do like the Signatures and use them on quite a few rifles, but they have repeatedly slipped on my .454 Cassul, .50 BMG and now this .338 LM no matter how tight I tighten the screws. I even punched the screw head through the ring body once trying to get them to hold on the .454 Cassul.

I suppose I could try rosin, GMS or electricians sealant, but I think I will just wait for the Badgers Max 50's to get here.

For what it's worth, I grabbed a set of Warne tactical rings in 30mm to try, just for fun and they are doing well on a McMillan in .50 BMG so far. For the money, they are not too bad. A bit difficult to lap because of the vertical split design. Other than that they seem well made and very solid.

Don

I use to have the same rings on my Lapua. I really liked them but didn't care for the screw to tighten to the base and that always worried me. My NXS never slipped but the screw came loose and snapped the ring off the base. Got some badgers coming now. They are good rings.

I'd be interested in buying signature rings from those of you who are upgrading.

Thanks

Roger

I was thinking of getting burris signature rings for my "heavy" .300 win mag. I wanted to stick them on a sightron scope. After reading this I'm not so sure. Would I be making a mistake in getting these rings?

Don,

I have them on my 416 Weatherby and the 3.5-10x40 has never moved. I tourque mine tight but other than that nothing extra.

Have you tried the self adhesive address label on the inside of the rings? I use it and have never had a scope slip. I also torque them pretty tight though so the label may not do anything.

I seen somewhere that Burris is now making the Sig. with two screws on each side of the ring for a total of four screws per ring. I'm not clear if this is an across the board change for all Sig. rings or just on certain one's. The other thing to look out for is if Burris made this change to the ring that you want to buy, be sure that who you order from have the revised version in stock.

thanks for the suggestions....this is a brand new set of rings with the 4 screw tops per ring, 30mm, Zees. I really didn't expect them to hold forever with the 250 grain 338 load maxed out, but I had hoped they would hold better than they did. Signatures won't hold ANY scope I have tried them with on my .50 BMG for more than 10 shots max, so it wasn't a big shock that they didn't hold with the 338 after a few dozen.

The scope was still slipping despite tightening the screws to the max possible. After about 20 rounds it would move 1/4" forward or more with no more room to torque the screws down.

I replaced the inserts with a new set (they were majorly deformed by the rings by the way, huge grooves pressed into them at the edges) and lightly dusted all the contact surfaces with powdered rosin, torqued the screws to 15 inch pounds. I just went to the range tonight and fired 30 rounds with absolutely ZERO slippage. Once I got it zeroed I fired a nice 5" - 3 shot group out of a cold barrel, at 1147 yards in a 4 mph breeze, just before darkness settled in.

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="red">Nightforce 8-32x BR scope </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Don_UT - that's a big arse scope, I know because you sold me one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ( Awesome scope ).
You need tripple screws from burris. They are supposed to be out any week now.

tacticalring3.gif

I'm putting them on all my cannons. At only $40 pair, I can get spare's.

b1g_b0re

This is a temporary fix while I wait on the sloped rail that Armalite said they would send me a over MONTH ago.....

I planned on using Badger Max 50s on the Armalite, but the price of those burris rings is pretty tempting! Thanks for the recommendation. That looks like a non insert type ring.....wouldn't a six screw "Signature" type ring be nice? Maybe some day.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.