NM Antelope

BadBry

I'm a newbie here and really love this site. I'm finding great information and a lot of humor from your posts. Thanks for sharing all of your information and thoughts.

Attached is my NM Antelope from August 2011. I wish I could say I took this Lope at 583 yards, but I have to admit he was taken at approximately 120 yards 15 minutes into the hunt. He was taken with a 7mm Weatherby Mark V which dropped him in his tracks. As you can see, it is a neck shot. He would not present a broad side shot and was less than 100 yards from escaping into the neighboring ranch, which means someone else would be enjoying his beauty and tender meat.

I want to thank my co-worker Toby who assisted me on this hunt and helped me spot this beautiful creature lying in the grass the day before the hunt. We were very methodical on our approach and managed to sneak into his backyard and dispatch him without wasting the meat and suffering on his part.

BadBry

Attachments

• BadBry Antelope 8-2011.jpg
    BadBry Antelope 8-2011.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Thanks for the comments. My hunt was a DIY hunt drawn through the NM Game & Fish draw. You can buy a ranch tag, but they are a bit pricy and can vary based upon the location and size of the ranch and heard quality.

This past winter was tough on the Antelope. We have had a pro-longed drought in NM and had a very cold February. I was skeptical early on in summer as I received word that the heards were suffering from the drought. Does were aborting their fawns and horn growth would be effected. During the hunt, we saw several shooter bucks and did not seem to think the heard suffered as much as previously reported.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts