Nj longshot

BARatdistance

Hello all, I am new to the forum and wanted to tell about a far shot I had.....for New Jersey......I was blackpowder hunting on the railroad tracks and saw a deer pretty far away. I pointed my CVA Optima topped with a Leupold VXII, 300 grain Hornady SST and 100 grain 777, aiming at the neck area freehand position. I shot and and heard an echo then a thump a couple seconds later. I walked down there and found a 7 pt buck lying dead on the middle of the tracks with the bullet right behind his ear. My uncle and I came back with a laser rangefinder and marked it off to 243 yards. For where we hunt in the thick brush, I was impressed with my own shot, not that the bullets were capable of the trajectory, but the energy was high enough to zip right through his head that far. Talk about restoring your confidence.......

BARatdistance.
congratulations.
that is a fine shot with any rifle from the offhand position.
i have only 1 bit of advise. RETIRE NOW
rest on your laurels, dont be offering to show your friends how you did it.
after watching, they wont believe you did it the first time.

Nice shooting!
My brother has the same rifle. He shot a coyote at around 130 yards, and a deer at about the same distance here in the nothwest corner of NJ.
I only hope to get a shot that far with my smokepole!gun)

Great shot!

I use the Savage MLII 10 here in NY and those smokepoles (smokeless pole in my case) can really reach. My personal best was 177 yards at a doe this year. Not off hand though. That is an awesome shot.

I live near the NJ boarder but use my flintlock in NJ because you can't use smokeless powder there.

Excellent offhand shooting. Congratulations on the 7 pointer. 243 yards in NJ is pretty good...it can get thick in areas.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.