NJ Legal Hunting Help 80 Grains

Big Cherry

Quick description and reasoning. I live in South Jersey and we are allowed to use center fire rifles up to .25 cal with maximum 80 grain bullets, for coyotes, groundhogs and fox. My daughter has taken over my GA Precision .223 Wylde we use as our NJ legal rifle and I need something nice, versatile and hopefully fits into multiple rolls. I started researching 6mm cartridges and then educating myself on the advantages of ballistics and reloading of the 6XC. I decided on 6mm due to long range competition results and high BC bullets in 80 grain. I read the good things about the 105 grain bullets but don't see much about 80 grain to make educated decisions on the forums.

I'm looking for advice on an 6mm or a .22 caliber Light weight rifle.
1. I'm trying to make the barrel as short as possible to keep the rifle in my gator or handy, what would be the shortest barrel length without defeating advantages of the decided cartridge? 22 is my goal and see below 3000 FPS Muzzle velocity.
2. Obviously it needs to shoot 80 grain bullets or even be able to go whitetail hunting in PA occasionally with the proven 105's or 115's.
3. Twist rate?
4. Barrel contour?
5. It would also not be a bad thing if the muzzle velocity is 3000 FPS because our club's high power rifle competition's only requirement is 3000 FPS or less.
6. I hand load my 6.5 GAP so I should be able to develop loads, once i have a solid starting point rifle.
7. Should I put a muzzle brake on your configuration suggestion? I prefer not to.

Thank you in advance for the help and reading my long winded post.
I couldn't find anything in other threads.

Do you think the fish and game people in Jersey will pull your bullets
and weigh them? Every one around here and almost everywhere I
hunt uses the good old 22/250 or .220 Swift or anything they have
handy to kill coyotes. Any good varmint rifle will do fine. A .243 is
excellent and you can use it in Pa. for deer hunting. Just about any
.243 will shoot 80 grain bullets real well.
Zeke

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.