nitriding Q&A

I have been misinformed. I will not say who told me about my last statement but I really felt they should know. I spoke with Joel Kendrick for a while this morning who is probably one of the most knowledge about nitrided barrels and works for Parker Trutec. He said that might be true except the fact that the nitriding causes dimensional changes which actually have the opposite effect. He said I should expect to have to drop powder charge to get to the same pressure. In his 7 SAUM it was around 1.5-2.0 grains. The other piece I learned this morning is that black oxide layer can be bead blasted off stainless and it will look just like bead blasted stainless. The best part is he said his first 7 SAUM barrel died at 800 rounds and the first nitrided 7 SAUM of his is still shooting .25moa at 2200 rounds.

That's the shot # increase I'm looking forward to, I'm looking forward to this 27 nosler build so bad I can taste it.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.