Nikon xl or nikon xl2 spotter

Preda8or

Nikon xl or nikon xl2 spotter, Is there really a difference in these two spotting scopes or is one better than the other? and what kind of warranty do they have?

Don't know about the xl but made a recent purchase of and xl2. Was out yesterday and can resolve thumb size branches at 1000 yds (skyline, just blue sky background) w/my left eye from 16 to about 30X. Mirage was too much above 30X.

With my right eye I couldn't see squat but that's the eye's problem not the spotter.

Positives are rubber armor, sliding sun shade, the "sight" it accurate, bright, clear, good resolution.

Negatives are its a bit heavy and the eye piece rubber cover that snaps into the front lens cover which in turn snaps into the bottom "sight" grove will fall out.

Mine\'s made in China

Never tho't to look. Would have tho't that Japan and China got along that well.

Wonder if I'd have made the purchase if I'd of known?

Re: Mine\'s made in China

This is a quote from another website.(I believe the older XL's are Jap optics. The XL2 is Chinook. The XL1 is no longer offered by Nikon.
Warrenty = 25 year Limited
The image between the XL1 and XL2 should be comparible.)
My question is would the XL1 be better since it is made in Japan? and are all the XL2's made in China?

Re: Mine\'s made in China

interesting.. I didn't know this. I've been looking at this spotter as a candidate..

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.