Nikon Warranty Update

WOW, I am so never going to buy another Nikon Scope or endorse their products. I have Nikon scopes on a few of my guns. I think those are the 3 Nikon scopes I will ever buy. I love the 4.5-14 X 40 predator scope I have on my 22-250. Burris has the same predator scope in their lines so I might must go with Burris rather than Nikon. Leupold will not make a predator scope reticle so they lost out on that opportunity.

Really the issue is your going to pay for the warranty, everyone acts like a forever warranty is free, it's like buying Snap-on tools, ya I can roll out to the truck and walk out with a new tool no questions BUT I payed WAY more for that tool than the same tool without the warranty or great customer service. It makes no difference to me, Nikon has been a fairly solid mid to lower optic that has been a good solution for many shooting needs for me, I've had more warranty work done on NF and Vortex than Nikon anyway.
Any company that sends you replacement optics if you abuse the heck out of them and want new stuff you can bet you payed triple the actual cost of what that product should be priced at!

I like Nikon, have a few, will still buy them when they fit the bill. As Bigngreen said, if you want a lifetime warranty then you have to pay for it. I would not expect Nikon quality to suffer, but I would expect the price to reflect the change.

Things like are usually the result of accounting decisions. When you have a lifetime warranty, the liability on the books in huge and grows with every sale. With this accounting change, they just increased the book value of the company as the warranty liability will surely decrease.

I will not take the warranty if I could buy 3000 dollar glass for 1000. But not having a warranty to the person you sell your scope to just made your resale value drop a ton. If I buy a Leopold or vortex used in not worried if it may have a flaw because the product is the warranty. Not some sales receipt.
Shep

Their Vortex wannabe VIP warranty was never an actual warranty - it was a policy, which allowed them to change it at any time. This is super disappointing. Glad I am down to only 1 Nikon scope. To flip flop like they did is a huge red flag.

I have only ever had to send one scope in for repairs and it was a Nikon monarch. That was enough for me not to want there product sitting on top of one of my rifles. I have 12-15 Leupold scopes and have never had any issues with any of them. I snapped a pair of vortex Binoculars in half and had a new set at the house in less than a month, because of this customer service I purchased 2 viper scopes, but I think I'll stick to my Leupolds

Always been hit or miss with me and Nikon scopes. Some I could never get focused and had returned for some not any better. Then some were ok but not great. Now at age 60 I finally have the answer. All Sightrons for me. I don't think you can find a better scope in their price range. Took me 50 years to figuire it out. Now to old to take advantage of all the lost time and money sending those Nikons back. Marty

I love the viper pst2 scopes but for hunting I want the second focal plane with a regular x-hair. Banging steel I love the 1st plane with moa reticle. But when you put them on low power the cross hair all but disappears. The turrets are nice so you could put dial up tape on it. Just need that simple crosshair. I have some monarchs and they have been very good to me. Even have one of the first year 3x9 scopes that aren't designated. Will never get rid of it. At this point I won't buy another and won't recommend one to any customers from here on out either. Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.