Nikon Warranty Update

gr8fuldoug

Official LRH Sponsor
We just received this update from Nikon:

From Nikon:
We wanted to make you aware of a change that will take place regarding Nikon Inc.'s Sport Optics product warranty program. After review, we have decided to make some program adjustments that will require changes to in-store, online and other marketing materials.
PROGRAM CHANGE: Nikon Inc.'s product warranty is changing from the current product warranty to the following:
Lifetime limited warranty for the optical system of Binoculars, Fieldscopes and Riflescopes;
Seven-year limited warranty for non-optical system components of Binoculars, Fieldscopes and Riflescopes;
One-year limited warranty for electrical components of Binoculars, Fieldscopes and Riflescopes.
The Five-year limited warranty on all components for Rangefinder and Red Dot/Reflex sight products remains the same.
Please note that going forward we are ending our No-Fault Repair Policy. Therefore, the new warranty program will not apply to any SRO product that is subjected to misuse, alteration or accident or for damage caused from unauthorized replacement parts, will require consumer proof of purchase from an authorized dealer/reseller and will not be transferable from one consumer to another.

I've had to send so many Nikon rifle scopes back for repair I stopped buying them several years ago. I still have a couple I'll hang onto.

Per Nikon's website, Nikon-Canada still has the no-fault lifetime warranty if proof of purchase from a Canadian source is possessed. In the US you're under the new "warranty".
I'd expect the cost of Nikon products in the US to plummet along with the quality to Barksa standards.

We just received this update from Nikon:

From Nikon:
We wanted to make you aware of a change that will take place regarding Nikon Inc.'s Sport Optics product warranty program. After review, we have decided to make some program adjustments that will require changes to in-store, online and other marketing materials.
PROGRAM CHANGE: Nikon Inc.'s product warranty is changing from the current product warranty to the following:
Lifetime limited warranty for the optical system of Binoculars, Fieldscopes and Riflescopes;
Seven-year limited warranty for non-optical system components of Binoculars, Fieldscopes and Riflescopes;
One-year limited warranty for electrical components of Binoculars, Fieldscopes and Riflescopes.
The Five-year limited warranty on all components for Rangefinder and Red Dot/Reflex sight products remains the same.
Please note that going forward we are ending our No-Fault Repair Policy. Therefore, the new warranty program will not apply to any SRO product that is subjected to misuse, alteration or accident or for damage caused from unauthorized replacement parts, will require consumer proof of purchase from an authorized dealer/reseller and will not be transferable from one consumer to another.
WAIT A MINUTE... So a Nikon Monrch scope I bought a few years back with a lifetime warranty is now subject to the new warrant rules?? I don't believe that'll work. I still have the scope box from which it came that clearly states "lifetime warranty" It'll only take 3 to file a class action lawsuit.

Stopped buying nikon a few years ago. Last repair I sent them took several months and several phone calls to customer service to get back. I have only sent one scope back to vortex and a replacement was sent asap.

WAIT A MINUTE... So a Nikon Monrch scope I bought a few years back with a lifetime warranty is now subject to the new warrant rules?? I don't believe that'll work. I still have the scope box from which it came that clearly states "lifetime warranty" It'll only take 3 to file a class action lawsuit.

id read it. id guess that it contains language that this can change at any time, etc.

I don't think that will fly either. I doubt they will make it retroactive, just optics moving forward. Hopefully folks out there who have Nikon optics (I have one on my 10/22) need to make sure they have/keep their receipts to prove their optic was purchased before this new warranty disclaimer went into effect. I sure am glad I switched to Vortex a while back.

Doug, you could have saved some grief if you had included that to begin with. I was ready to dump my three Monarchs on the local listing today to cut my loss!

Well thats too bad. I was going to buy one for my father soon. That plan is now cancelled. I will look elsewhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts