Nikon Tactical Concerns

craigp40

As a result of the questions I had in a previous post on tactical scopes, and the great responses I got from you guys, I've really narrowed down to what scope I want on my new rifle. It's the 4-16x50 Nikon Tactical. I've read some great reviews on it and it seems perfect for what I want to use it for. I do have one concern though that hopefully some of you can help with.

This particular scope is rated at only having 50 MOA of adjustments from top to bottom. A great review at snipercountry

Nikon Review at SniperCountry

showed that it actually has 70 MOA of adjustments. Definitely better than 50, but still considerably less than the competition. Should I be concerned with this limited adjustment capability? Although the rifle (7mm Rem Mag) is still being built, my plans are to shoot the 175 SMKs at about 2800 or 2900 fps out to 1000 yds using 20 MOA bases for the scope. I guess I could use a program to figure this out, but wondered if any of you had real world experience with this particular scope and its actual runout.

I did much of the original prototype testing for Nikon and all the info you are looking for is available here. Just do SEARCH and you should find that data. Bottom line - no sweat. We use those exact scopes on .308's out to 1000 yards with no problem. They are very good scopes, you will not regret getting one.

Dave Bahde, that tested the Nikon Tactical, is a great person and optic guru. We have traded emails from time to time.
Ian and Mike Miller have also gave this scope a thumbs up.

Put a 20 moa Badger rail on your stick, and let the big dog eat!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif..sakofan....The Nikon Tactical will be my next scope!!

Thanks guys. That's all the nudge I need to move forward with this.
Ian, great review! Didn't realize it was on another forum, but no problem getting it. I'm not an AR kinda guy, but seems there is plenty of good info there as well.

With a range of only 1000yds, you may not need to shim the base at all. Remember that with these high BC bullets, drop is not that much. I would bet that you can go from 100 to 1000yds with less then 30 min of elevation (my guess around 25). Run the numbers in a ballistic program to get a general idea.

So before spending money on bases, just shoot the rifle and work up a load. Determine your 100yd zero and go from there. You may find, as I have many times, that the way the rings, scope and load work out, you already have the scope elevation way down.

After zeroing, if you have more then 30 min till it tops out, you are good to go. If not, you can use the Burris sig rings to shim or an elevated base. I prefer the rings as they don't mar the scope and allow for fine adjustment.

sometimes the base is too much elevation and now you have a very high 100yd zero. Not bad if going for extreme range but a pain if doing range work.

Enjoy the Nikon. Great gear...

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts