Nikon RifleHunter 1000

freak007

I am looking for some first hand input on the Nikon RifleHunter 1000 rangefinder.

I am currently in the market for an inexpensive (under $350) rangefinder and this one has caught my eye... My current setup is a Savage 112VLSS in 25-06 with a 3-9x40 Bushnell Elite 4200. I use it as my "target"/whitetail rifle. I am shooting 110 grain Accubonds at 3100fps. I am not comfotable shooting deer beyond 500 yards due to the limitations of the caliber (Nosler reccomends 1800fps+ as minimum speed for reliable performance the Accubond and I fall under this around 550), as well as my limited practice beyond that range.

Due to my limitations, (self imposed perhaps?) I am not looking for the full 1000 yd ranging ability, but rather something that can consistantly range deer within and slightly beyond my current capabilities. I can pick the Nikon up for $300 new. I have done several searches, and I know that Lecia is the prefered brand, but it is out of my budget right now.

Will the Nikon do what I want?

I have the Nikon Monarch 800 and my buddy has the 1200. They work great and I'd bet the 1000 Rifle one would do you just fine. I can range deer and stumps, rocks, out to the 800 yd. mark and trees to about the same. My buddies 1200 model is much better and can range stumps, rocks out to 1300+ and trees to at least a 1000. In all conditions.

Thanks for the input!! Any idea how good the optics actually are? I was in a local green store to try and check out my options... They did not have the Riflehunter 1000 but they did have the Riflehunter 550 and the Nikon Archer Max as well as several others. I was not impressed with the quality of glass used in the 550 or Archer Max, but the Leupold RX-1000 was very bright and clear (although I have read some pretty spotty reviews on it's actual performance)...

I have been told that the leupy's are crap. The optics are clear and I've never had one fog up. I actually took an ACI and secured it to the side of the 1200 model and that gives us our angle with the range.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts