Nikon or Vortex

Blackpowder72

I need a little help. Im looking at a Nikon Monarch 3 5-20x42 or a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44. I have looked through the Vortex Viper, nice clear scope. My question is how does the Nikon Monarch 3 compare to the Vortex Viper ?? None of my stores around here have any in stock for me to look through. They are both around the same money. The Nikon has better eye relief than the Vortex , but the Vortex has wider field of view than the Nikon. Nikon is 1" tube, Vortex is 30mm tube. Trying to stay around $500 range . Decent used ones , like new in the box ones out there for $450 range. Strictly going on a hunting rifle. Thanks for any info.

Last edited:
Having had a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10 and now having a few Vipers, I would say O like the Vipers more than the Nikon. Personal preference, image clarity and value. I would suggest looking at the demo units on cameralandny.com for a great price on a Viper. Then you can get a better scope for more money than you could buying at the box store. I currently have 2 4-16, one HSLR and one HS-T and they are both excellent scopes.

Had some problems posting on this forum recently.

I have several Nikon scopes but will no longer be buying them. Going from Monarch 2 to Monarch 3 the attachment of the turret knob was changed so it is just spring loaded. Sounds cool until you inadvertently loose your zero when the knob makes contact with brush in the field or if you happen to put some upward pressure on the knob and find it spinning free in your hand...

Another point, the internal movement of the higher magnification Monarchs is very limited. Not good for long range shooting and you need a good setup / shims or you could run out of travel trying to zero a scope on a 20MOA mount.

Don't know the kind of hunting you are doing, but 6.5x is a very high minimum magnification and the eye pupil at the top end will be so small I question the actual magnification range you can really use. For target shooting of course it may be just fine. I think you will find that a 4-16 is a lot more useable magnification range with a smaller lens since you can use the entire range effectively. Just my 2c

Yes I agree. I think I have decided to back down to a 4-16x plenty of scope for what im doing. Also going with a BDC reticle .

I have a Viper Vortex 6x24 ffp that I would gladly sell. The eye relief sucks. PM me if interested.
Thanks, Kirk

Well thanks but no thanks. I know what you mean about the eye relief. My buddy has the same scope you have and I have looked through it. It sucks!!! I looked through a Nikon Monarch last weekend very nice , great eye relief.

Id have to vote for Nikon. I own 2 and have checked out plenty of Vortex when in the sop and I just dont are for Vortex at all. They may be top notch..??...but I just dont like them

I have the same scope. Eye relief is no issue at all. But the exit pupil at 24x is pretty small. Your eye has to be in just the right spot to see downrange at 24x. But at 20x it is fine. That scope should have been a 5-20x from the beginning.

I have a Viper Vortex 6x24 ffp that I would gladly sell. The eye relief sucks. PM me if interested.
Thanks, Kirk

Well I got my new Nikon Monarch 3 4 - 16 x 42 SF BDC , and I love it ! Great clear glass , and great in low light . I bought this scope from SWFA Outdoors . The ad said it was a Demo A witch is supposed to be like new in the box . Let me tell you it was new in the box and $100 cheaper than any where else. If you are looking for a scope check them out. Im very pleased and give SWFA and the Nikon Monarch a 5 star !!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.