nikon m-308

What type of rifle (AR-10, bolt, etc) and engagement distance? 4-16X is a lot of magnification for most LEO scenarios. There are much better reticles than the BDC-800. It is overly busy, yet has no windage hold-offs.

If you plan to train often with this rifle, then you can go more complicated. If this rifle spends all of its time in the trunk waiting for the SHTF, then a recommend you keep it simple. Either way get something you can bet your life on.

Bruce asks a lot of good question's that will make an impact in my scope suggestion for you. I easily have over 5000 rounds under Nikon's M-308 scope and the 3 I have have worked flawlessly. I prefer the BDC reticle just because I am often shooting different weight bullets and I can dial in the accuracy with Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program.
As much as I like the M-308 for longrange shooting/hunting, I think if I'm picking one scope on my SHTF rifle, I am going with a more compact scope like the M-223 2-8 BDC 600. While it is a M-223, I can still dial in my .308 rounds using Spot On. So, lot's of flexibility and accuracy in a compact scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.