Nikon Buckmaster?

matt_3479

I would like to know from experience is this scope any good. Im not looking for an amazing scope, im not even looking for a great scope. Right now i cant afford amazing or great. Just finished buying a new ATV and used the money for a new scope to go towards the ATV. So i gotta wait a while before getting a great/amazing scope. I need to replace a tasco.

I came across this scope it was a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x-14x 40mm matte with Mil dot/nikon plex/ or BDC. The price was 279.99. I know Nikon make some pretty good scopes and have a good warranty. It would replace my tasco on my 7mm rem mag. I normally hunt Black bear, whitetail, mule, antelope, caribou and moose with this rifle and have had shots from 50-400 yards. I thought this scope had a good power in case of those long shots, and a decently low power for closer shots. This scope most likely will not be permanite as for coming across a Zeiss Conquest and a Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x 40mm with CDS which i fell in love with both of them. i was going to purchase one of these scopes before i got my ATV.

I just want your preferences on the Nikon Buckmaster? i know the Leupold VX-I is around the same price but the reviews for the buckmaster are better. plus its really cheap.

hi, I've had a couple buckmaster scopes and I am not going to say that they are the greatest. But I would buy one long before a VX-1. They are a good buy for the money.

Theyre good scopes for the $ as ''britz'' said. I own 1 in a 3x9 and my dad has the 4.5x14x 40mm a/o. For the $ its a very hard scope to beat. More clear than the VX1. You may also want to check out Burris for an affordable good scope. Compare them side by side by side with the vx1 and youll see

The only Nikon's I've owned are cameras and binocs (and am very pleased with them). Respectfully, as I was thumbing through my Natchez catalog, why are there so many Nikons marked as refurbs. Is it because they are Made in the Philippines (and nothing against the country of course)? Just curious if the quality standards are different. Similarly, the Burris (Fullfield series) scopes that are Made in the Philippines vs Greely, CO.

Again, I respect those that owns them (esp those that are very satisfied and has been using them for years), just simply curious.

Ed

as Feenix has pointed out there are concerns about quality control. I am currently trying to figure out if my Monarch has been fixed. Seems to have about .25 to .5 discrepency in the clicks on windage but I'm not convinced yet. (I fired around 3000 rds w/ it over the past 8 years or so and recently sent it in to have fixed). You really can't compare them to a Mark 4 or other $1000 plus class scopes. But IMHO the buckmaster still a decent buy.

My 6-18 buckmaster was bought off E-bay "new" but the price suggests it was a factory referbish since I paid only $270 for it about a year and a half ago. The rubber eye piece on the back of the scope came off right away, but w/ a little glue I don't seem to have any other problems w/ it. However, It has spent its' life on a 22-250 that has been troubling me quite a bit. lol! I'm reasonably sure the trouble is w/ the rifle not the scope since I've used it on my wsm w/ excellent results as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.