Nikon Buckmaster 4X14 SF mil dot scope update

Mysticplayer

A while back I posted my experiences with the new gen. of Nikon Buckmaster 4x14 side focus, mil dot reticle scope.

Well, having lived with it for a few months, I am still very impressed. The parts move smoothly and stay put. The turrents have wonderfully audible and tactile clicks. The optics are still bright and clear. The zero has not wandered. Quality of this product is well above the purchase price.

Mechanically, the scope is holding up very well. It is on a light 270 right now which will become my walkabout hunting rifle. Repeatability has been excellent.

My test program involves getting the drop correct for a few different ranges (last time out 3 - 375, 540 and 650yd). Taking a shot, get a hit, moving the dial up and down through its full range several times. I just spin the knob quickly back and forth in random fashion. I then rezero at the next range, shot and see what happens. Repeat.

I shared this duty with another shooter just to get a second opinion. I told him which target to shoot, he shot, he hit. Also, shows that there is no windage movement when the elevation knob is turned - a common problem.

I have found this to be a very tough test for a scopes mechanicals and many scopes simply will not pass this test. If the scope does not return or needs that tap to move, over several shots, you will miss small targets at long range by significant margins.

So far the Nikon is doing just fine. Now to see how well it holds up over the long haul. My guess is that it will do fine too.

For the money, this line of scopes is a great buy. I can now, with the results of this one scope, recommend others have a look at a very useable product with excellent features. Love to hear your feedback.

Bonus, you get a very well written booklet on the mil dot reticle and how to use it by our very own Ian mcMurchy. Kudos...

Jerry

I have the version just before the SF and so far like it. I am in the process of putting on a Kenton Target Turret and will see how that works with them. I am also considering this scope for my new 257 wthby mag. will make a decision in the next day or so.

www.justshootn.com

Kind of hard to see in this pic, I can take a better one if you like. They are marked similar to any target turret, with numbers and hash marks between the numbers.

10FP.jpg

edited to add: Took a little better pic:

Nikon-01.jpg

huntin1

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.