Nikon blackx 4k rangefinder

I have used both rangefinders a little bit and for my uses, the MONARCH 3000 Stabilized gets the nod. I have been using Nikon's first stabilized rangefinder, the 7iVR for 2 years now and love it. Hunting and some longrange shooting to 1000 yards is my preferred use. I have ranged deer to 700 yards with my 7iVR and I can assure you the MONARCH 3000 Stabilized is better and faster. As many of you know I do some freelance work with Nikon but I promise you my comments will always reflect my hands on experiences and I do no sales at all.
IMO the ranging capabilities of these new rangefinders is reaching the point of good enough. I just bought an rx-2800 and it'll range non-reflective single bales from 2100 yards to 2500 yards. I imagine Nikon is similar. At those ranges I think it would be nice if they came out with a variable magnification or switch magnification like 6x flip a lever and it becomes 12x. 2000yards is a long ways the accurately range something on 6x or 7x.

IMO the ranging capabilities of these new rangefinders is reaching the point of good enough. I just bought an rx-2800 and it'll range non-reflective single bales from 2100 yards to 2500 yards. I imagine Nikon is similar. At those ranges I think it would be nice if they came out with a variable magnification or switch magnification like 6x flip a lever and it becomes 12x. 2000yards is a long ways the accurately range something on 6x or 7x.

EXACTLY who the heck wants to try to range even a 2-3 foot plate at 2k on 6 power.

I was considering putting a sheet of plywood up behind my gong to range off...pain in the ***

Heck I'd be fine even if there was a significant weight increase to add adjustable or higher power optics, I doubt any one is trying to get an accurate reading on deer at 2500 yards, so the weight of a model like that really wouldn't matter

Heck I'd be fine even if there was a significant weight increase to add adjustable or higher power optics, I doubt any one is trying to get an accurate reading on deer at 2500 yards, so the weight of a model like that really wouldn't matter
What's the weight difference between a fixed power scope and variable power scope?

I hadn't heard of the 4k yet, but it seems like you landed a pretty good deal - $100 off retail and $50 off the sale price that's going on online right now. Nice catch. If it really does get a distance on deer out to 1500 yards or so, that would be awesome. Of course the extra features the 4k has makes it a really versatile unit for various types of hunting! Let us know when you post your review.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.