Nikon blackx 4k rangefinder

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Joefrazell, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Joefrazell

Joefrazell Well-Known Member

Anybody have any real experience with these? I just picked one up from cabelas today as I saw they were on sale for $349. I was easily able to range the tree up on the hill past our house at 1350 yards but that's the furthest thing around. I'll be doing a no bs review on it as soon as I get it out to do some shooting and testing. I couldn't believe the price point and had to get one to try out.

Mike 338 likes this.
  2. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

Alot of us stopped supporting Nikon (Altria) when it was recently discovered they supported gun control groups like Everytown (Bloomberg), and others.

I was interested in one of their Black x1000 scopes, but after that, no way in hell will they ever get anymore of my money.

3. Wild Bill G

Wild Bill G Well-Known Member

Nice info to hear Mud Runner we don't hear that stuff up here. I was wondering why the dislike of Nikon. A real bad business decision on their part.

4. wilkup

wilkup Well-Known Member

And I was just entertaining the idea of picking up that 3-12 M Tactical! Bummer. Guess I'll keep looking for now. Thanks for sharing.

5. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

Take a look at the Vortex HS-T and Viper PST lines, and also the SWFA SS scopes. They all support pro-gun groups, and make great products with good warranties. Zeiss also makes excellent scopes.

FlGunner likes this.
  6. Canhunter35

Canhunter35 Well-Known Member

I recently upgraded to a leupold rx-2800. It consistently ranges round bales at 2000 yards. Won’t range them past 2100 yards. So pretty good on non-reflective targets.
    I’m interested in what the Nikon 4000 does?

wilkup likes this.
  7. Joefrazell

I haven't gotten it out very far yet but had no problem ranging the tree at the top of the hill at 1350. We will see. I have a leopold 1200tbr dna and it's great out to 1000 but I'd like to get to the 1 mile mark.

8. Canhunter35

Canhunter35 Well-Known Member

How big is the reticle? That was the main selling feature for me with the 2800 it has a tiny crosshair so I feel like I’m actually ranging the intended target

9. Joefrazell

I checked it out tonight and it seems to range non reflective out to 1700-1800 yards. It's very smokey around here from the fires right now and was about 100 degrees out. I was able to range a few buildings at 3800 yards. I think it's supposed to range deer to 1500 yards. I was able to range vehicles over 3k while they were mobile. I will say it's very impressive. The reticle was great and worked perfect. I think it's slightly thicker then my leopolds reticle but still just as functional.

10. wilkup

wilkup Well-Known Member

Where you located? I’m in Central Washington and am dealing with the same weather ;)

11. wboregon

wboregon Well-Known Member

only 6x magnification though. seems like you might want a bit more if you trying to range to 1 mile on deer/elk or 4k on a reflective target

12. Joefrazell

I'm in idaho. 6x seems plenty to me especially because this will be used as a do all.

13. Bman940

Bman940 Well-Known Member

I have used both rangefinders a little bit and for my uses, the MONARCH 3000 Stabilized gets the nod. I have been using Nikon's first stabilized rangefinder, the 7iVR for 2 years now and love it. Hunting and some longrange shooting to 1000 yards is my preferred use. I have ranged deer to 700 yards with my 7iVR and I can assure you the MONARCH 3000 Stabilized is better and faster. As many of you know I do some freelance work with Nikon but I promise you my comments will always reflect my hands on experiences and I do no sales at all.

Mike 338 likes this.
  14. Joefrazell

Yeah I couldn't pass the price of the 4k.

Bman940 likes this.