Nikon BDC reticle?

lurcher

I am interested in the nikon 2.5-10X42 with BDC reticle. The plan would be to use it on a hunting rifle out to 600 yards or so. Looks like a reasonable scope for the money. I'd like a VXIII Boone and Crocket or Conquest Rapid Z but these would bust my modest budget.

Had a bit of a search on here and couldn't find much information, but I did notice that some people didn't like the circles, and the reticle was too fat. Checked on some other forums and some people seem to like it, so no sure what to do..........

Also tossing up between buying a one piece 25moa base, or two piece bases (which I already have) and burris rings with the offset insert kit that can be tweaked to give up to 25moa. Are the one piece picatinny alloy EGW bases I see for sale on EBAY of suitable/reasonable quality?

i have 4 Nikon 2 with the BDC. i will not buy any more of the BDC the + is to thick and the O are not precise enough of a aim point for me. The Nikon line of scope are great. but i do not like there BDC. The two that does not have the BDC are great scopes. one has the dot and the other is a standard +. I'm thinking about selling the two that has the BDC and getting something else. The BDC looks good on paper but not in real life. i would look at the VXIII before the Nikon there BDC may be better. The best thing you could do is set a price that you want to spend on a scope. Then hold off till you can save about 300.00 more and get a great scope instead of a ok scope glass makes the rifle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As far as the base goes. i like a one piece. A solid piece of metal is stronger than two set a part. most of the rifles on here have a one piece base if look. a two piece may be OK but i like a one better just my 2.
good luck

Last edited:
I couldn't stand the BDC and switched to MilDots for quick holdovers. Both in Nikon.

BDC?

Have two Monarchs with the BDC, a 3x9x40 and a 4x16x42 and love them both. Not sure you would like it at 600 yards. I limit my shooting to 400 yards about what my range finder can reliably read.

Had a Nikon Monarch 5x20 with the BDC and didn't like it. As said before, the reticle was too thick for my tastes. Got rid of it and bought a Leupold VX-III with the varmint reticle. I agree with the suggestion to find what you want and then save till you can get it. You will be happier in the long run.

I've like my BDC reticle a lot. My Nikon 3x32 P223 on my AR has it. Definitely worth the investment if you want to hit some longer range shots that you don't go to the range and zero at.

Its a pretty simple setup process. Just zero your rifle at a know distance. Then go on to the SpotOn web app and enter in all your shooting information: scope, bullet, distance, etc.

I've written an article that explains the BDC in depth and goes into why it is a good buy: Why You Need the Nikon BDC Reticle

I also like the Nikon BDC system, as std. BDC systems go, that is (actually prefer tree BDC reticles though). Ian McMurchy who used to hang out here actually designed the circle BDC reticles for Nikon a few years back. I have several Nikon's and all have the BDC reticle in them. Most recent one is with the Nikon Encore LER pistol scope and intend to put it on an XP-100 7 WSM. Had that optic on a Savage Striker 22-250 and was dead-nuts on to 425 with my load vs. reticle subtension. If you wish to apply the reticles at the optic's highest power some calculating is often needed. Here' is a pic and dope I calculated for the 60 JLK Low DRag out of the 22-250 to 600 yds.--

...as can be seen any trajectory can fit any multi-stadia reticle.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.