Nightforce vs Sightron SIII

JDJHNTR

I know I know.......comparing apples to oranges! But here is what I feel is a real world question that I need an answer to.

For the purpose of long range hunting ( whitetails ), is the Nightforce worth the extra money over the well reviewed Sightron SIII? I know about the Zero Stop on NF that I do like but for real world Long range hunting is their enough difference in performance between the two to justify the roughly $800 price difference?
Whats important to me is glass and tracking (repeatability).

Let me (us) know what you think before I shell out the $1500-1800 for a NF.

Thanks everyone........

I had the same thoughts last July. I got the SIII 6-24 with the Moa/Moa reticle. I couldn't come up with the extra money for the NF. If I had the cash I would get the NF. Being a working man, I bought the Sightron and am very impressed with the glass and the tracking. I am very happy with the scope; it is on a Savage 300 win mag and I regularly shoot out to 1000 yards. It seems to be plenty good for me and I have no complaints what so ever. I read all the reviews too but the scope is more impressive than I thought it would be. My only gripe is the turret rubs on my pack so knowing where my zero is was a must. I packed into some rugged areas and the scope is still where I zeroed it.

If you contemplate missing a grizzy till ya run outa shells and then beating said bear to death with your scope then the NF is the way to go. They are in a different class for stupid durability. That being said I was a nightforce man till about 2 yrs back when everyone else started bringing out MOA based reticles. My eyes cant see a discernible difference between the NF/vortex/sightron etc. Yes there is a diff but its so small I cant see it often. The other NF selling point is $$$$. Yes they are expensive. I have bought 10-12 over the years and MADE $$$ on every one I sold. As time passes and the $$ of NF rises the older models rise also. My old 5.5x22x56 I made $300 on ebay. Resale on NF is king but the others arent bad either. I essentially RENT scopes. When I buy I figure what resale is on ebay and then I can figure "Ok this will cost me $150 to shoot for 3 years or maybe on a NF I might make a few. Either way when you look at it like that it makes sense.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.