Nightforce vs Bulter Creek Lens Caps

Fishkat

I'm considering switching from the bikini cover setup that came with my NSX to actual lens covers. This rifle/scope only gets used for hunting and occasional range shooting.

My first thought was a set of Butler Creek and then discovered the Nightforce caps and would like some opinions on both and if the Nightforce caps are really worth the premium price. If there are others out there i'd like to hear about them.

thanks

I have a set of Butler Creek caps for my Nightforce; they almost fit. They will do in a pinch but mine are just a little bit big for the lense shade I use on the scope. They may fit better on the bell without the shade but I haven't tried that and I wouldn't use a scope without the shade - so it's not a winning solution for me.
I don't want to fork out the dough for the NF to try them so I use the bikini covers.

Thanks FNW i'll forget about the Butler Creek and i also use the shade. the bikini cover isn't bad, when its on its on and does the job. When i use the rifle i just take it off and put it somewhere.
Guess I'm just cheap, even though I can afford the NF caps I'm having a hard time justifying their cost. I had to work for whatever i have so i'm accustom to this predicament.
Appreciate the heads up on the Butler Creek caps.

I don't attempt to clean my lenses. Instead, I keep them from getting fouled.
So I wouldn't hunt without flip-ups on my scope..
Putting a bikini cover 'somewhere' and then remembering & picking back out of that somewhere and stretching it over a scope,, does not sound like the best plan for keeping lenses clean. More like -better than nothing.

There is another factor to consider with NF though, and that's the eyepiece turning with power changes. This causes some annoyance with flip-up cover use, and along with scope weight, led me to selling off all NF scopes for MK4s(which are fitted with superior Alumina flip-ups).

I don't attempt to clean my lenses. Instead, I keep them from getting fouled.
So I wouldn't hunt without flip-ups on my scope..
Putting a bikini cover 'somewhere' and then remembering & picking back out of that somewhere and stretching it over a scope,, does not sound like the best plan for keeping lenses clean. More like -better than nothing.

There is another factor to consider with NF though, and that's the eyepiece turning with power changes. This causes some annoyance with flip-up cover use, and along with scope weight, led me to selling off all NF scopes for MK4s(which are fitted with superior Alumina flip-ups).

Thanks Miker. I don't abuse my equipment but do use it, sort of like my glasses and if they get dirty I clean them. I would like the flip-ups for when it's dusty or raining. I have about four or five Leupolds and one really old Redfield and like them as well. Plus they have excellent CS. My main go to hunting rifle is an Rbros with the NSX and its neither light nor heavy weighing in at about ten pounds but the rifle is deadly accurate.
Now you do point out an interesting subject I haven't considered and that is the ocular turning as you adjust the magnification, I'm guessing all but the NF caps rotate with the movement of the ocular. Thanks for pointing that out. Exactly why I posted, to learn from others.
Thanks

I've used Butler Creeks, bikinis, Tenabraex and now I'm using Vortex. I'm not a supporter of Vortex, actually I don't own any of their optics, but their scopes covers are awesome. The housing on them is like an inner tube rubber that is flexible and slides over the ocular or objective housing. They hold well and seem to be holding up well so far.
All of my optics that don't have these covers soon will.

I have used Tenabraex, Bulter Creek and Vortex. The NF caps on my ATACR and BEAST are made by Tenabraex and are my favorite as they stay on well and rotate out of the way easily. I have Vortex caps on my AMG and they work better than Bulter Creek but if I could change them out for Tenabraex, I would. I gave up on Bulter Creek after they kept breaking when going in and out of a scabbard while hunting, or when getting drug through heavy brush.
My preference for the Tenabraex/ NF covers is just my opinion. If you go the Vortex scope caps option, you'll have to carefully check to see you can get a pair that match your NF scope. (E.g., Tenabraex could only match the objective end on my AMG but not provide the ocular cap)

I have used Tenabraex, Bulter Creek and Vortex. The NF caps on my ATACR and BEAST are made by Tenabraex and are my favorite as they stay on well and rotate out of the way easily. I have Vortex caps on my AMG and they work better than Bulter Creek but if I could change them out for Tenabraex, I would. I gave up on Bulter Creek after they kept breaking when going in and out of a scabbard while hunting, or when getting drug through heavy brush.
My preference for the Tenabraex/ NF covers is just my opinion. If you go the Vortex scope caps option, you'll have to carefully check to see you can get a pair that match your NF scope. (E.g., Tenabraex could only match the objective end on my AMG but not provide the ocular cap)

Thanks for the info, i checked the Vortex sizing chart for the Defender style caps and for my NF 5.5-24x50 NSX they do list the recommended size to purchase. Of course that doesn't mean they will fit well. Assuming they do fit, I'm curious about the ocular cap rotating when making a magnification adjustment and if that will bother me. Since this is my hunting rifle and not my comp gun it might not be an issue but if they fit tightly and don't move easily I don't know, I would like your opinion if you have the time.

Thanks

The Vortex cap on the AMG fits snug and I can not rotate them easily. It does not matter on the Vortez Razor AMG as the ocular ring does not rotate when increasing power like on my NF scopes. The two brands of scopes work differently which probably accounts for the difference in the cap designs.
I really like the Tenabraex on both the BEAST and ATACR and would have bought them separately if they had not come with the scopes. I guess the good news for me is it is not that bad that I can't get Tenabraex for the AMG as the Vortex design works fine with that scope.

The Vortex cap on the AMG fits snug and I can not rotate them easily. It does not matter on the Vortez Razor AMG as the ocular ring does not rotate when increasing power like on my NF scopes. The two brands of scopes work differently which probably accounts for the difference in the cap designs.
I really like the Tenabraex on both the BEAST and ATACR and would have bought them separately if they had not come with the scopes. I guess the good news for me is it is not that bad that I can't get Tenabraex for the AMG as the Vortex design works fine with that scope.

Thank you sir, guess I'll stick with the bikini covers or let my wife buy me the NF caps for my upcoming birthday. I still end up paying for them but at least it doesn't come out of my mad money account.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts