Nightforce velocity reticle

pockets380

Correct me if I am wrong but with the nightforce velocity reticle you have to be set on a certain power to use the hold over points right? If you are using the turret to adjust drop it is accurate on any power. I like the option of hold over or clicking. I saw on an episode of Extreme Outer Limits, Bob demonstrated using both ways. Looks like a really cool reticle. Just don't know if I like having to be on a certain power to use the hold over points. I've been looking at all the great debates on FFP vs SFP on here. It's all very interesting. Thanks!

velocity reticle. If it's FFP then it'll work on any power, SFP, it needs to be on max power.

if you dial the turret, your crosshair will work on any power

Ok, that's what I was thinking but wasn't totally for sure. I know some of the leupolds had to be on a certain power. I think it was 12x out of a 14x scope. Thought that was a little wierd. I wonder if it the velocity reticle would be too small to use at the lower powers and hard to read since it grows and shrinks with a FFP?

I have a Nightforce 2.5-10x32 with the Vel 600 reticle and l love it. You need to tailor your load to fit the lines, but once done it is deadly accurate for hunting and much faster than the dial up. With my 300 WM I am deadly confident out to the 600 yards and that is my self imposed limit for shooting at a game animal. If you have both the Vel reticle and the dial up turret you have the best of both worlds.

My take on the velocity reticle line is this.

IF you can find one of the reticles that fits your load, ie, LV, MV, HV, etc. and you get it setup correctly, and you are okay with shooting it on whatever power level you need to for your ballistic profile to coincide to the reticle, then it is fantastic out to 4-600 yards depending on your setup. The issue beyond these distances is that incline, atmospheric conditions, spin drift, Coriolis, etc., begin to come into play and you can't count on it being accurate enough beyond those distances for all your shooting situations. However, you can then always use a drop chart or ballistic app and dial for the longer shots which is really the most accurate way to shoot anyway so that transition works out well IMO.

I and many others have never understood why they didn't put the velocity reticle in the FFP line. It very likely has everything to do with sales and their SFP sales are much higher.

A velocity reticle in FFP would be fantastic and really makes a lot more sense when you think about the intended use of the velocity reticle line.

This is one of the reasons I like a graduated reticle, for guys that wish to use the reticle for holdover style shooting. It allows for everything the velocity reticle does but can be suited to the exact ballistics and shooting conditions. The only negative is a guy then has to memorize which stadia line for each distance or have it written on a chart. But either of those options are pretty easy in most situations.

If they come out with an FFP velocity reticle and it fits my loads I would seriously consider switching over to it for shooting out to 500 yards or so and then dial for everything else.

Scot E.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts