Nightforce Software pre-programmed for NPR1 reticle?

snarbles

I'm super close to buying the bundle of the Nightforce PC/Pocket PC and had a few questions. I've tried emailing them at lightforce, but it appears they probably only respond to phone calls.

1. Does the desktop version import profiles/files from the pocket pc version as well as the other way around?
2. Do you have preset profiles for the NP-R1 reticle (from what I hear it only has the NP-R2 profile preset)
3. Do you have the profile for the 308win 168grain and 175gr Federal Gold Medal Match ammo?

Reason I ask is I want a simple setup for my Rem 700 .308 with a Nightforce 50mm 5.5-22x scope without having to program in a lot of specific/custom bullet, reticle profiles. I also want my profiles to be interchangeable between the pocket pc and pc versions so I don't have to configure them both separately.

I'm also looking into Field Firing Solutions, but if the Nightforce is more easily used with my NPR1 reticle and will share data from the Pocket PC version and the PC version then I'm all over it.

Thanks for your help.

I use the Nightforce ballistics program and Highly recomend it.... Call Nightforce and ask for Jeff.He can answer all of your questions...

208-476-9814

Nightforce Optics

I contacted Nightforce about this same issue after purchasing the NP-R1 scope. The NF rep suggested I call Gerald Perry (exbal). I emailed Gerald to see if the reticle was included in the Exbal or Nightforce software. Here is his reply:

"You can use the NightForce NP-R2 reticle which has 10 reference bars spaced 2 MOA apart. You can interpolate the values between the bars for 1 MOA spacing. Since there is only room for 10 reference bars you would have to set up a custom reticle in Exbal with the spacing's you want."

Hope this helps!

Jeff

I have the desktop and the Palm versions of Exbal which is the same as the Nightforce software.

1: The desktop and Palm versions do not communicate with each other
2: The NP-R1 is not in there, just the NP-R2. You can, as stated , create a custom reticle but there are only 10 bars, as stated, so you'd probably only be halfway to where you'd want to be. You could probably create the others with a little math and have what you probably want.
3. The 308 FGM 168 and 175 info is in there.

I have played with the reticle and bars in the software, but to me it's just about as useful as using a BDC. I always have had a real problem getting animals to stand at exact ranges for me. Some say they use a small chart of the bars and use that in case of emergency but if the animal is far enough out there, then to me, you should be dialing for a more precise shot and not settling for, what in my mind, is a compromise under perceived "emergency conditions". JMO YOMV:)

I don't know how far you want to shoot your 308, but if you plan to really stretch it out, then to me, the simple solution would be everything it takes to give you all current conditions, combined with a pocket pc/palm with data that has been cross checked and verified with actual field data at any range you may want to shoot at.

If you plan on keeping your shots fairly short, say 500-600 yards or less, then you can get by with just about anything most of the time and be reasonably close.:rolleyes:

It's my choice, when shooting at extreme ranges, to know the exact conditions at the time of the shot and dial for the shot under the current conditions. It's my opinion that using a "rubber stamp" approach with a "standard" drop chart that's is only good under one set of conditions, will never get you the precision you need at extreme ranges.:):rolleyes::)

Remember these are only my opinions and what works for me. There are a lot of people on here that do amazing things at extreme ranges without clicking/dialing, so you pay your money and you make your choices. That's what I did.:) Good luck.

I contacted Nightforce about this same issue after purchasing the NP-R1 scope. The NF rep suggested I call Gerald Perry (exbal). I emailed Gerald to see if the reticle was included in the Exbal or Nightforce software. Here is his reply:

"You can use the NightForce NP-R2 reticle which has 10 reference bars spaced 2 MOA apart. You can interpolate the values between the bars for 1 MOA spacing. Since there is only room for 10 reference bars you would have to set up a custom reticle in Exbal with the spacing's you want."

Hope this helps!

Jeff

Thanks, just the answer I was looking for.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts