Nightforce SHV worth the $

bikerbowhunter

I have a Savage LRH .300WM with a Nikon Monarch 5 5.5-20x44 BDC scope. I am recently getting more serious about shooting longer ranges up to 1000 yards and have gotten a CSI, 20 MOA NF base, as well as a Kestrel 4500 bluetooth, using the AB app on my phone. I am wondering if anyone has an opinion about whether the Nightforce SHV 5.5-20x56 scope would give me $1200 worth of improvement over the Nikon.

Ive been playing with a shv the last few weeks and its s solid optic. However nf's benchrest is also a very good optic which is just a bit more money ($100) but offers much more tactile clicks, better picture, and more magnification.

The main deciding factor for me would be weight, size, and adjustment range. The benchrest is huge and heavier than the shv, and has about 20-30 moa less elevation.

You cant go wrong either way.

I personally think you would be happier with a Sightron s3 than the Night force SHV. The s3's glass is on par with the NXS line.

I have both the Sightron 8-32X56 and two SHV. 4-14X56 and 5-20X56. I like each of them about the same. For close range shooting and load development I am not crazy about the target dot on the Sightron. I find it kind of hard to lock on to the bullseye on my paper targets. It's not bad but I find it easier with the SHV crosshair. I do like the small dot at long range for shooting gongs. I don't think you could go wrong with either one of these scopes. They are heavy so keep that in mind if weight is a factor.

I am a big fan of the SIII's for some of my applications, but there is no way the SIII and the NXS are on the same level as glass. I think the SIII and the SHV are on the same plain for glass but the NXS has a little better resolution. if you want more power (6-24 or 8-32) go SIII if you want a 4 or 5 for the lower end go SHV can't really go wrong for any of those choices from 800-1200. Also gotta Give the Viper votex it's due in that range.

I find the glass on my SIII better than my PST. At full power on the PST I have to position my head perfect or the sides start to wash out. Personally I would go SIII before the PST.

I am a big fan of the SIII's for some of my applications, but there is no way the SIII and the NXS are on the same level as glass. I think the SIII and the SHV are on the same plain for glass but the NXS has a little better resolution. if you want more power (6-24 or 8-32) go SIII if you want a 4 or 5 for the lower end go SHV can't really go wrong for any of those choices from 800-1200. Also gotta Give the Viper votex it's due in that range.

Let me rephrase what I said. I meant for the price difference between the s3 and nxs the glass is not that much better in my experience. My buddy has a 5.5-25 nxs and its not 800 bucks better in the glass department. His is better but its not much better than my s3 and he agrees . Not nocking Night force at all they are awesome scopes.

The human eye struggles to notice small differences in light transmission and resolution. Especially in optimal conditions.

A good comparison between optics would be to look at a resolution chart in falling light.

The same scope that wins this test will typically provide better sight pictures in a larger variety of conditions with less eye strain.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 110
I just looked at an SHV a few months back and decided to go in another direction. For me, the glass is great on the SHV, but I really didn't like the dials and the fact that they had caps on them. And for me, if I was going to spend that much money, I wanted it to be exactly what I wanted. Instead, I settled on a Viper PST for half the price. Not quite as good of glass, but it is still very solid and everything else about the scope fit what I wanted.

I like the shv for a hunting scope. Has great eye relief and good glass but I do not like the new reticle for long range work. I have admit I'm biased towards the npr-1, which of course nf discontinued. I also agree the SIII is a great scope but not the same caliber as a nf.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.