Nightforce SHV vs NXS

Avery r

Hello I purchased a Nightforce ATACR 5-25 56 to put on my 338-378 Weatherby and I am looking to get a scope to switch between my 308 and a 22lr. I was going to get the NXS for the Weatherby but I saw the 10 22 promotion. Thanks for any opinions

Attachments

• 1520985262542-1110626116.jpg
    1520985262542-1110626116.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 255
Having looked and compared the SHV 5-20 side by side to the my NXS 5.5-22 I doubt I could tell which scope just looking through them if I was to just spot up behind each without knowing which one I was looking through. The NXS glass doesn't appear superior at all and if it is its barely discernible to me. The NXS erector I understand is more robust as is the scope bodies I am told but thats all hear say who knows. That said the better erector, true zero stop (not zero set of the SHV), and more travel per rev (with the high speed turrets) are the real upgrades of the NXS over the SHV in my mind. Given I am not jumping out of helicopters and such so I feel the SHV line is more than adequate for my uses. If I was going to pay for a NXS 3-15...I would likely just pony up and go ATACR 4-16 if the SHV 4-14 doesn't strike your fancy. You get even more turns per rev, still right at 30 oz like most of the NXS line with 50mm objective, a capped windage and a better IMO illumination system and much better glass than the SHV or NXS and that difference is discernible to even myself and I really could not care too much about glass though as the SHV/NXS glass is more than adequate.. Granted it is 30% more than the NXS 3-15.....but I just don't think the NXS is worth the 50% price jump over the SHV line for the most part. As such my NXS was sold down the road last month.
smile.gif

NXS and SHV share the same tier of glass.
Honestly, I believe the F1 SHV is the better deal. You just don't get that combat proven scope body.
But that takes nothing away from the SHV. It's tougher than most scopes in its class.

I do not have an SHV, but i do have the NXS 5.5-22x50 and absolutely love it. I have looked through the SHV and it is great glass, probably close to if not just the same. If you're not worried about that little price difference, I would say just go for the NXS.

really like the SHV line and think it was a great move by Nightforce. I would certainly consider it over the Vortex PST line which is only marginally cheaper.

I have the following:

NXS 3.5-15x50
NXS 2.5-10x42
SHV 4-14x50 F1

My hunting buddy has:

SHV 3-10x42 (which I have used quite a bit).

SHV fast focus eyepiece and illumination adjustment is better. Turrets aren't as crisp as nxs, but they are ok. I prefer the zero set over the zero stop for simplicity. I run two shv's on my groundhog guns. Sold the two nxs I had.

This scope could possibly also go on an armalite ar 50 if I get one which I plan to do so I was thinking Between NXS 5.5-22x56 NXS 8-32x56 SHV 5-20x56 and ATACR 5-25x56

This scope could possibly also go on an armalite ar 50 if I get one which I plan to do so I was thinking Between NXS 5.5-22x56 NXS 8-32x56 SHV 5-20x56 and ATACR 5-25x56
I don't doubt the SHV would be fine on a 50.
But I would do the ATACR or NXS on the 50.

Figure out what features you DO NOT need and go from there. Trying to pick between to similar NF scopes comes down to features for me.

I was just at Cabela's the other day and the NXS is 1400 more than the SHV. For scopes with the same glass the other features of the NXS better be a lot better.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.