Nightforce SHV vs. Leupold LRP Opinions/Help

Jud96

I'm considering upgrading the Vortex HS-T on my custom Rem 700 .308 Norma. This scope has served me well, but I'm starting to outgrow it. At 500+ yards the glass starts to go down hill on 16x, and it's tough to get a really clear sight picture at 1000 yards especially. Mechanically, I can't complain at all about the HS-T, I just would like better glass and more magnification for long range shooting/hunting. I never really had the budget for scopes over the $600 price range, but I really want a good scope that I don't have to worry about or regret purchasing and/or not paying more for. If I had the cash I would opt for an NXS or ATACR and sleep well at night and go afield without worrying about my optic choice haha.

If anyone could share their thoughts or experiences with either the Leupold LRP or NF SHV, I would appreciate it. I have a lot of experience with Leupold's, but none with an LRP. Nightforce is pretty new to me, and I have only shot and handled one NXS. I've done some research, but really want to know if the NF is worth the extra $300-400. It would be great to hear from someone who has experience with both as well. Thank you guys!

I hate to be "that guy" but I would really encourage you to try and save for a little longer and get an NXS--this way you will never have to think about needing or wanting to upgrade again. If you shop around used you can pick one up used for just a couple hundred more than what you will pay for an SHV.

I would also appreciate any experience/info on the Vortex PST Gen. 2 scopes. I just started looking into them, and they offer a lot of features for the money. Thanks again

I would also appreciate any experience/info on the Vortex PST Gen. 2 scopes. I just started looking into them, and they offer a lot of features for the money. Thanks again

I would just get a SWFA and be done with it. The HDs are really nice and you know they are always going to track. Cheaper than nightforce but tougher than leupold or vortex (tracking wise comparing to similarly based scopes).

Between the two you mentioned the Shv gets the nod from me just because it's more reliable as far as tracking and just a more robust scope the Lrp is a great scope no question better than the vortex personally I would also just watch for a used nxs in the classifieds for $400-$500 more than the Shv will cost you

I like my pst ii a lot, very clear glass in it's price range, turrets are very nice and is well built imo. I would happily buy another one if or when I need a scope, I've never owned one of the other 2 but I would take any nightforce over a Leopold any time, turrets feel mushy to me

I like my pst ii a lot, very clear glass in it's price range, turrets are very nice and is well built imo. I would happily buy another one if or when I need a scope, I've never owed one of the other 2 but I would take any nightforce over a Leopold any time, turrets feel mushy to me
Leupold turrets do not have as positive click as a Nightforce that is for sure they will also move on you rifle while carrying on your shoulder rubbing your backpack While hiking never had a Nightforce turret move if going to use for hunting I would also look at vx5 or vx6 with zero lock

I like the LRP glass better than SHV. Only SHV I used i wasn't impressed with, it was good glass but not great. i didn't like the reticle either not sure which one it was, but I did like the turret.

I have an LRP 6-20 and it has tracked flawlessly, the newer turret isn't as "mushy" as older ones. It has better glass than SHV IMO, and more reticle options. The new Zero stop there is no way to go past Zero and it has indicators for each revolution in elevation, it could move forward but its easily to see if it has moved. it a good scope for the money. Down side it the tall bulky turret, I don't like for a hunting scope.

I like the VX 5 or VX 6 better for a hunting scope.

If you have a bass pro close by you can compare the two side by side. Just handling them at bass pro, I was more impressed with the LRP.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just picked up a vortex ps-t gen2 5-25x50. First impressions, I'm super impressed! This scope seems like light years ahead of my gen 1 ps-t. The clarity is very good. I took it out at dusk and it gathered plenty of light. I'll know more about it once I start shooting it. I'm guessing though I'll be owning another

Between the two you mentioned the Shv gets the nod from me just because it's more reliable as far as tracking and just a more robust scope the Lrp is a great scope no question better than the vortex personally I would also just watch for a used nxs in the classifieds for $400-$500 more than the Shv will cost you

Agree overall the SHV is a much better scope IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts