Nightforce shv or zeiss hd5

garsticker

Have any of y'all had these two side by side in comparison. I've owned a hd5 a few months back and it was great but sold it...was thinking of getting another or a Swarovski Z5 then I ran across an article about the Nightforce SHV...liked the article and the price but have never seen through one..I would like to here from anyone with ACTUAL experience with both of them for comparison as Nightforce,isn't sold anywhere close to me to drive to and check out

That's a tough call... I have 2 Conquests, but have not yet been able to afford an SHV. I want one, bad. But being that it's a NF, I will guess it is inherently a high-quality optic.

If you want adjustable turrets, the HD5 would be the way to go, if you want a rock-solid tank of a scope, NF usually wins in that category.

If it were me, it would be a matter of glass quality. If the glass is better in the NF, I would get the NF. If the glass is better in the Zeiss, go Zeiss.

For a hunting scope where game is involved, I like high-quality optics. For basic range, tactical, and target scopes, glass quality is not the most important factor, duarability is. Then glass, then turret quality.

I love my Conquests...But I REALLY want to try an SHV. I have a feeling it will be right on par with the Zeiss scopes. So, if you want a 30mm scope with a bigger 56mm objective, and a badass reticle (MOAR), then I would go with the SHV. If you want a scope with a 1" tube, 50mm objective, and a non-ranging reticle, then go with the Zeiss.

No brainer, get the SHV.
I used to have an HD5 and still own an SHV.
If you don't mind the 56mm and the weight then there is no comparison. Much more internal adjustment, much better glass, better reticle (MOAR) on the SHV. Don't get me wrong I liked the HD5 but you will be limited to about 700 yards on the turret and no wind hold reticle plus to my eyes the glass is not close to the nightforce or swarovski.

The 5-20 SHV that I own is used for load development and it is so nice I am thinking about another one. Definitely going to get one of the 3-10 SHV in March for a light weight rig also.

I also have a 3.5-15 NXS and the glass appears the same as the SHV to my eyes.

One other thing, the 56mm will fit most med mounts if your barrel contour is a #4 or smaller.

I own 3 HD5's and they are a really good scope. I looked at the SHV today and they look real nice definitely on my list. The guy from Nightforce said thay have the same glass as the NXS and the 56mm objective doesn't look that big on a 34mm tube.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

I have NightForce NXS, but swinging the other way toward the Zeiss HD for a rifle that I plan not to shoot long distance. The HD is much less in weight and the glass is excellant and would not be so bulky as with the 56 MM.

It all comes down to personal preference since both are good choices.

How well does the Moar reticle on the shv look in low light? I would rather have the non illuminated model but would hate to get it and not be able to see the reticle in prime hunting time.

If you are in dark timber on a cloudy day and the sun has set it will be hard to see but not impossible. The 5-20 reticle appears thicker than the 3.5-15 due to the power range and being second focal plane.

I have only had one HD5 in the 3-15 version and I did not think the glass was great. If I was shooting at the small orange dots with the black diamond in the middle, I could not see the black diamond no matter what I did with the parallax. All of my Nightforce scopes have a distinct difference between the black and orange, actually so did the huskemaw I had. Perhaps it was my one and only HD5 that did not have great glass. Most other guys swear by the HD5 Glass but I am not of the same opinion.
Like I said before, if you don't care about the size or weight and it doesn't seem like you do than it is a no brainer to choose the nightforce.
Good Luck

IMHO, the reticle thickness on the HD5 is too thick. I believe it is right about 1/4 MOA thick; in addition, once you set the zero stop, you can only dial the scope one rotation.

I have several nightforce nxs scopes , not shv ,but the 2 hd5 scopes i have spank the nightforce scopes in the glass department, i think some of these other reviewers may not want to admit that the cheaper scope has better glass, we actually tested about 20 scopes using charts with several different people at varying ranges and both the hd5 s in the test beat all the nightforce scopes in the test across all 5 people who participated. This was only testing the glass not the turrets or tracking or ruggedness. The hd5 is limited in elevation travel and the zero stop is kinda dumb but glass is awesome.

Thank you so much...im glad somebody had the guts to say it..one way or the other..i had the chance to see through both and I will say the hd5 looked superior in the optics dept. But the shv was very impressive in its other attributes..but in the end the glass and weight were the deciding factors

I think if more folks would be honest with their ability and intended use, then they would opt for scopes that fit medium range use. And yes, I do own NF also.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts